Please help Should I do it and Is the surgery so Painful when you wake-up?

Margie C.
on 4/29/04 12:16 pm - Marietta, GA
A Doctor I have been seeing told me NOT to have the surgery because he has spoken with 2 people who say they wish they had never done it. This dr is my therapist and says he is just concerned for me. He says I need to go to Overeaters Group or something else for a long time before. I explained, I CAN'T DO THIS BY MYSELF, I NEED HELP. I have never had any kind of Surgery and the Therapist said when you wake up you will wish you were dead from the pain!!! Help, I really want to do this but I am scared.....Please note Dr.Daly thought it was a great idea and I will live longer. Does the surgery really hurt that much????
(deactivated member)
on 4/29/04 12:34 pm - Warner Robins, GA
I am still pre-op but one suggestion, go read profiles. I read what seems likes hundreds of them. They really helped me to make my decision. Good Luck, Tonya
Margie C.
on 4/29/04 12:49 pm - Marietta, GA
I have been readind soooo many. I am trying to find some negative. Have you talked with people *****gret having it? I am finding so much good. Thanks, Margie
Kay Holder
on 4/29/04 1:18 pm - Mableton, GA
Sometimes people regret it.. but only for a small amount of time. yes, some people have problems.. but most do not. It depends on your surgeon. SOme atlanta surgeons have lots of complications.. my surgeon has a complication rate of 0.15%.. the average is 2%. So, yes there are risks.. but obesity holds much higher risks. Your therapists is uneducated in this surgery.. cut and dry. Most people that have it done lap are back at home after 24 hours, and 99% of people I see do not have any pain.. some have minimal but don't need pain killers. Go read the main message board.. tons of people there. Ask them questions.. you will get more responses.So.. yeah it's risky.. 2% rate vs. a 75% chance my obesity will kill me.. I'm going to have surgery.
Sunny D.
on 4/29/04 1:37 pm - South, GA
Lies-Lies-Lies--It is so easy for people to find fault with this surgery. If he was talking to people in therapy they may have had other issues and were blaming their unhappiness on the surgery. I personally had pain of about a 1 or 2 on a scale to ten. I was uncomfortable but not anywhere close to dying from the pain. I DO NOT have a high tolerance for pain either. Make your own decision but please do your own research. Do not let anyone talk you into or out of the surgery. I had no choice. 300 pounds and climbing--or take action. If I could have lost it on my own, I certainly would have. I have absolutely no regrets.
sxynecie
on 4/29/04 6:23 pm - Jonesboro, GA
Margie, Pre-Op here but is planning to have surgery on the 10th of May. You must do your own research. You CAN NOT go by what someone else tells you. Sounds like your therapist need to do some research himself. Mrs. Jackson 05/10/04
mako1120
on 4/30/04 12:36 am - Oakwood, GA
You need to find another Therapist. I had Lap RNY on 12-08-03.. The pain was minimal. I know everyone's experience is different, but by far I have hurt much worse from stumping my big toe.
KymMomOf5
on 4/30/04 6:28 am - eatonton, GA
Hey Margie. I am now 5 weeks out and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I was one of the ones who had a LOT of pain. (some actually don't) I also developed a post-op infection. For a few weeks there I thought UGH! I feel awful! But never once did I regret the surgery. Even now, I feel like myself again! At 3 1/2 weeks I had lost 28 pounds. So Even when I could barely walk from the pain it sure made me smile to see the scale move! Please note, I am a big baby when it comes to pain. And this is by far the most painful thing I have gone through. (I've had 4 c-sections and didn't bat an eye) I did this for my health. for my family. I want to live and see them grow older. You have to remember your reasons for doing the surgery. Be honest with yourself about WHY you want it. It's not just about loosing weight. It's about being a healthier you. Stick to your guns. I know I have tried MANY (too many) diets in the past with no results. Gaining and loosing and gaining more. This was my only option left!! I felt like if I didn't have the surgey I was cutting my life short. And as far as the scale moving making me smile....there are so many things I can do now that i was unable to do just 5 weeks ago. Some things I'd rather not go into detail about but you understand if you've been there. Was the pain worth it. You bet. and no amount of preparation could have prepared me for the pain. But I'm so glad I did it. The pain is only for a season and it's gone. The results can last you a lifetime if you use the tool right!! Good luck, and God bless you! ~~Kym~~ open 03/25/04
NAT
on 4/30/04 11:02 am - Atlanta, GA
This is what I am going to say You don't have to place high value on someones opinion cuz he is in the medical field. He had no right, no right at all, to say such an opinionated thing to you. I would have to take another look at his credentials after that comment and wonder if he just graduated from a community college after only 2 yrs of study. Heck are you his first patient for heavens sake. His opinion was meant to hurt and scare you. Anyone who says that to you in such a strong tone is not looking out for your best interest. (Okay I am gonna analyze him) He is probably bitter towards fat people and thinks of them as oil filled lamps and good for nothing. He probably was abused by an obese person as a child and harbors all ill will towards all overwieght individuals. He also probably never played kick ball with his peers cuz they were to fat. Girl plz!!!!!!! He is a shrewd and wouldn't get my business ever agian. He is not a doctor and has not a clue about the surgery. The patient that told him they regret it, is probably a patient seeing him for a eating disorder, and if you have that you were not suppose to have the surgery in the first place. So as you can see, I simply don't agree with his way of communication and HE should be analyed by a board of his own peers!!! NAT
Margie C.
on 5/2/04 11:09 am - Marietta, GA
thank-you soooo much. I felt the same way but I needed a kick in the pants. I e-mailed you earlier because people say you are the insurance GURU. Who is your surgeon? What hospital are you going to? Do you go to any of the support groups? Thanks again, Margie
Most Active