BCBS got addt'l info, now clock starts over????

Kelle W
on 4/28/04 2:24 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey guys, just a quick question today....more of a solicitation for thoughts on this subject....BCBS verified for me this morning that they got the three additional pieces of info they required from me for pre-approval. BUT (and this is a big ole' but) now they say the 14 day clock has started over again! I must just be easily flummaxed cause I couldn't believe it when she said that. I was like, because it took me three days to get you this stuff you take the one and a half weeks you've already had my file and chuck it out the window? Anyone else had this experience? Kelle
Kelle W
on 4/28/04 3:56 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks Becky, you are a veritible font of information! The items they were looking for were a little odd.....my doctor's letter of medical clearance, which my surgeon's office had confirmed once before they had received and they knew they had to submit; my actual thyroid test levels instead of a letter stating my numbers were okay; and a re-write of the psych. recommendation since she wasn't very clear on the first letter. So, technically I did have all of it in the first go around, they just wanted clarification. Hey, as long as they don't come back asking for a 6 month supervised diet, I'll be happy. And, like you said, at least they didn't deny me and make me start over again. Thanks! Kelle
Kelle W
on 4/28/04 4:51 am - Atlanta, GA
Well Dr. Appel's office has it as one of their requirements for submitting paperwork, but when I called BCBS to check on how long they required, they told me they used to have a 6 month policy but they had changed it and no longer had a written timeline. Then I was told by another BCBS rep that they DID have a 6 month requirement, I freaked out, called a supervisor, was told the previous lady was incorrect, the policy had changed..etc. I asked for it in writting so I could present it to Dr. Appel's staff and they wouldn't send it to me. They said that even though they don't USUALLY require it they could come back and request it if they felt it was necessary. SO....knowing my luck I've been waiting for the axe to fall. BTW, I just got through reading your profile and you did have a hell of a time with insurance. If I was in your shoes I would have had to forgo the operation cause I couldn't have afforded the amount you shelled out. I also busted out laughing at the section about stumbling to the bathroom without your glasses on and the spiders coming up out of the toilet. I mean, busted out laughing.....I had several people in my office turn around and look at me like, "what the hell is your problem?" I swear I sounded like a braying donkey. But that was classic. Classic Kelle
hollyhobby
on 4/28/04 5:26 am - Jonesboro, GA
Kelle, I haven't made it that far in the process, but I pray daily that it goes smooth. I am just trying to meet up with someone here locally in ATL that I can chat with about the surgery. Talk to you soon. holly
Kelle W
on 4/28/04 5:48 am - Atlanta, GA
I see you're from Jonesboro...that's the part of town I grew up in! I graduated from J'boro High class of '91. I'm in the same boat you are about looking for buddies to talk to about the surgery. That's why this board is so incredible. There are a lot of great support groups around town, unfortunately for me there aren't any in my immediate area and the nearest ones to me start VERY EARLY on Saturday mornings. Mostly I'm trying to figure out stuff about vitamins and the best way to get in enough protein after surgery. I'm not the most knowledgeable person about this process but if you ever want to talk, just let me know. Maybe we could meet somewhere in town. Hey, maybe we could start a social group for folks to just get together and hang out, go out and do fun stuff not necessarily a "support group". Would you be interested? Kelle
Kay Holder
on 4/28/04 6:25 am - Mableton, GA
BCBS PPO said the same thing.. I finally sent them 5 years of medical records.. 46 pages.. they approved me 1 1/2 days later.
PEGGY B.
on 4/28/04 7:22 am - SYLVA, NC
I WAS DENIED WITH MY INSUANCE ON FRIDAY AND THEY TOLD ME I HAD 48 HRS TO APPEAL AND THEN I APPEALED I HAD ONLY 48 HOURS TO GET ALL THE EXTRA INFO TO THEM,I WAS DENIED BECAUS ETHE DOCTOR AND INSURANCE DOCTOR COULDNT EVER MAKE CONTACT WELL THAT WASNT MY FAULT AND THEY TO KNOW WHY MY FIRST SURGERY DID NOT WORK I FIILED MY APPEAL ON MONDAY AND WAS APPROVED TODAY GOOD LUCK .. PEGGY
PVail
on 4/28/04 11:53 am - Warner Robins, GA
Hey Kelle, I had BCBS and they really do make you jump through some hoops. The good news is that they will approve the surgery. Everytime I thought that BCBS had everything they would kick it out for something else. It was quite madening but hang in there. It really doesn't take them 14 days. They just say that because they want to be given the time to process it. Call EVERY DAY! You're not bugging them. It's your health, not theirs. Good luck. Phyllis
Most Active