Update on Chamption and distals

Kay Holder
on 4/12/04 1:07 pm - Mableton, GA
I found out from some members he only does 100 cm bypasses. I was pissed at first and then I posted some messages on various places, and everything I got was the same.. not that big a difference. Champion has done 1800 of these, and 3 deaths.. that's amazing. I just spoke with him and he says that the difference in weight loss is about 5%, but the nutrional difference is devastating and for that reason, the 5% weight loss is not worth the patients health, because most distals have huge issues with vitamin defeciancies. (they do if you notice the main board) I think I'm okay with it now.. some people I spoke to today said they only had 75 by-passed and hit their goal. I'm sure Duncan has some patients who have trouble losing weight, too. but now that I've heard it from others and have hhad a second to think about it, I see my conception was wrong. if you would like, I can send you some of the coorespondence I've recieved today that put my mind at ease. I think, if your absorption will be cut in half by being proximal , not to mention you'll be eating ALOT less food. yeah, I might lose slower, but I shouldn't have vitamin problems and diarheea:
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/04 2:50 am - Warner Robins, GA
Kay, I am so glad you feel better about it and got to speak with Dr. Champion about it. I'm not an expert but I was thinking the same thing in regards to long term health. Anyway, just wanted to say I'm glad you got the answers you needed and were able to feel better about it. Good Luck! Tonya
Sunny D.
on 4/13/04 8:26 am - South, GA
I do think you will be happy with Champion. I, too, wanted to make sure I got my money's worth. Not to offend anyone, but I do feel that the proximal will be less likely to cause future problems. Everyone has to do what they feel is best. I have no reaction at all to sugar, fats Etc. (which is bad for me). I did dump once on a kiddy size movie popcorn with butter. I feel that I would have some dumping with more bypassed but there would be no guarantees that I would. Dr. Champion said I was 1 of 10% without any dumping. I'm still down 98# since mid August. I've got another 50 to lose but health wise I feel great. My bloodwork has been fine. I did have to start B12 drops at 6 months because mine was a little low. He likes to get the blood checked before starting the b12. I got an E-mail from Richmond Hill Lisa. She said y'all were both using Champion. Let me know if you have any questions.
lisasolis
on 4/14/04 6:38 am - Rincon, GA
I also decided to stay with Champions office due to the fact that I do not want to start the process over again. I decided also to go with Dr. Williams because I do not want to wait so long. After emailing and corresponing with Dr. Williams patients, I learned that most folks tend to lost about 70-75% of their excess weight around the six month mark WHEN THEY FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. I do not want to lose money I pay for this so I will follow the instructions as closely as I can. Most patients that have used Dr. Williams are happy with their results. I am now waiting on insurance approval for my husand, son and myself. We are all three having the surgery and it will be a family affair. Wish us luck with insurance - I had my first hurdle to go over today. Blessing to all - Lisa Solis
Most Active