WLS Patients over 20 Years

lisasolis
on 4/10/04 12:40 am - Rincon, GA
Perhaps someone can help me. I am waiting on my insurance approval for wls. I have two well meaning friends who actually had this wls over 25 years ago. (more like 30) They both claim that the surgery has ruined their health and that they have long standing illnesses due to malabsorption etc. One lady claims she had to have the procedure reversed. I explained to them that I am sure this was due to the fact that the surgery was too new back then and that it probably is different now. Does anyone know about this? I am interested in the long term effects of this surgery not just regarding weight loss but regarding overall health issues. I am sure that if vitamins are taken as directed and proper care is taken for life people may not have these problems. Any comments?
Siddy I.
on 4/11/04 11:43 pm - Savage, MN
Lisa, There have been MANY improvments made to this surgery in last 10 years or so. The main problem from back when was the doctors did not talk or even know about the need for vits and protein. I had a friend who had WLS 8 or 9 years ago and all she was told was to eat like she did before (even sugar) surgery just smaller portions. She never took vits or ate extra protein, no calicum, nothing. Because she didnt take care of herself she is in bad health today and also MO again. Thats why we all scream about taking care of yourself. WLS is risky but you have to make up your mind which is worse, taking the chance on WLS or being MO. For me I was was in such bad health being MO that it was worth the risk. Good luck to you. Sidney
Most Active