Slow Weight Loss

Angela W.
on 4/1/04 12:39 pm - Covington, GA
Has anyone experienced a very slow weightloss? Did you find that you had other health issues that were not determined before? I'm am 2 months post-op and have only lost 29 lbs. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what's going on. Please help. Angela
San D.
on 4/1/04 8:58 pm - PR
Hi Angela, I know that you feel like 29lbs is losing slow and maybe it is on the slower side. Your profile doesn't list your start weight but by your bmi you might be a "lightweight"? The less you have to lose, the slower it comes off. I know it's scary thinking its not gonna work, but this time it will. I started out at 262 and had lost 31lbs by 8 weeks. I am now almost 7 months out and down 70lbs. To me, that is slower than a lot of folks, but I feel great and have had no problems at all. I've finally accepted that it's gonna come off slower for me and if it takes me another 6 months to a year to reach goal, that's fine. At least I am healthy and feeling good. Just keep following your doctor's plan and the weight will come off, there is no way you can eat so little and not lose. San
Julie I.
on 4/1/04 10:08 pm - Vidalia, GA
Angela - 29 lbs in 2 months is a good loss! If you didn't have as much to lose in the first place, you will lose slower, as San said. When keeping up with our losses, it's best to do it based on the percentage of excess weight you have to lose rather than just on the number of pounds. You have probably lost the same amount of excess weight as those who have actually lost more pounds than you have. As long as you're feeling ok and the pounds are coming off at ANY rate, try not to get too discouraged! I know that's easier said than done. Best of luck! And quit thinking so much! Jules
Pat Bell
on 4/2/04 4:43 am - Southeast, GA
How much did you weigh before surgery? Many light weights don't lose as fast. How much protein are you taking in now? I lost -0- lbs. on week 9 so I called the nutritionist. She suggested I forget calories (had been doing 300-400) and concentrate on getting in 60 gms of protein a day. I did that (well closer to 60) the following week and lost 5 lbs. It might have been a water thing and could have happened anyway, who knows? You've read it on here a lot I'm sure but we don't all lose at the same pace. I had lap surgery 1/20/04 and I've lost 41 lbs. I think that is slow too for a person that weighed 352 lbs on surgery day but I am thankful for every pound. On the positive side life is getting better every day. I hope that's true for you too. Hope your wls journey will get better for you.
Most Active