Trying out protein shakes

OHAngel2006
on 3/31/04 1:28 am - GA
I've tried a couple of protein shakes to start getting used to them for when I have surgery ( I'm thinking positively ). I tried the same of Unjury given to me at the nutritional consult. I got the unflavored and mixed it in my milk. It was thick. Then I tried the Dr. Phil shakes. I like the convenience of the "already mixed in the can". Well let me tell you I drank one for breakfast and my stomach began to hurt immediately. I have had diarrhea all day!!! What is up with this? So, are all protein shakes going to be thick in texture? or is there something smoother out there that won't upset my stomach? I'm glad I am trying them now and finding out! LOL!
Angel Sellers
on 3/31/04 7:02 am - Smyrna, Ga
Hi Tracy: I really like the Isopure Zero Carb Vanilla. It is a mix, but after experimenting I found if you put it in the blender with the sugar free/low carb yogurt (strawberry is really good with this mix) & add some ice - it is really good & easy to drink. Everyone's tolerance is different though, so you will have to see. You have a very good thought by trying all of this ahead of time, but be prepared, sometimes your taste & tolerance changes drastically post op (mine did). Best of luck to you & God bless Angel
Carrie R.
on 3/31/04 7:03 am - Gainesville, GA
Hey Traci, I went today and met with the dietician. She had some samples there. One was Iso Pure wasn't too bad, it was more watery than what I expected. She also had a diet sugar-free drink like a fruit drink, said it could also be used as part of the water amount needed. Said it was at Sam's club $6 something for 12 of them, not too bad, Was also an Iso Pure fruit drink, looked good but I didn't get to taste that one. I went by Wal-Mart today too and bought a Whey Protein mix, gonna try it tomorrow! We'll See!!! Best of Luck!!! If ya need anything let me know!! Carrie
Dionne S.
on 3/31/04 7:34 am - Jonesboro, Ga
GNC has a good one, pro performance isolated soy protein 95. It has 25 grams of protein, not to mention the protein from the milk. I use silk plain soymilk that has about 7 grams of protein. I have chocolate flavor, and it tastes great! I have tried a few different shakes, and this reminds me of a milk shake. You can mix it with a spoon but it tastes better mixed in the blender. I think I paid about $13 for a canister of it, and it was worth it.
pambelo
on 3/31/04 9:03 am - Clarkesville, GA
If you like kool aid type drinks the Nectar is really good. There are 4 or 5 different flavors. They taste like Jolly Rancher candies. Go to www.bariatriceating.com and they have samples.
Jeff W.
on 3/31/04 11:09 pm - McDonough, GA
I love the ZOIC protein shake. I get it at kroger in the health food section. It is Higher in Protein and lower in Calories than any other shake I've found and Ive tried them all. Also it tastes good (esp the chocolate), not thick or gritty. Jeff (-91 lbs in 16 weeks)
Lee M.
on 4/2/04 2:45 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey Tracy: After surgery, I tried just about every shake out there. I finally found GNC brand 100% Whey protein mix that I really liked. I put a scoop of it in the blender with a lil' milk and a few scoops of sugar free ice cream...sometimes even a lil' ice. It has by far been the best shake that I've tried. Good luck to you! Lee
Gemini52272
on 4/4/04 8:29 am - Hiram, GA
I like the GNC brand whey protein, caramel chocolate or vanilla flavor. I mix the caramel one with carb countdown milk and pour 1/2 pack of SF carnation instant breakfast all in together. I make a double batch and drink 1/2 of it for breakfast and the rest while on the way home from work. By the time I get home I'm not starving and I can have a sensible dinner. Between the protein in the SF CIB, milk, and the GNC stuff, I do pretty good. The Isopure drinks are good, a little expensive, but I drink them when I'm tired of the other drinks. When chilled, it's like kool-aid.
Most Active