New to Ga board. (long)

Kay Holder
on 3/30/04 1:56 am - Mableton, GA
Hi. I'm Kay. I am done with all of my pre-approval apoointments, had my psych consult, nutritional consult, and I am waiting for my PCP referral and thyroid profile.. which I have been waiting for over a week. I have an appointment with Dr. Champion on the 2nd because I'm over 400, (by 1/2 a freaking pound.. and I had just eaten lunch) and he won't write the pre-determinatio letter without seeing me first. After that, they should send everything to BCBS (ga, PPO) I almost didn't get to go through this at all.. My works insurance has a written exclusion. let me explain.. I have been with my company 2 years. I have paid out of pocket for my own insurance for 4 years. When i got this job and became eligable, I didn't take their insurance. I kept my own because I was afraid of changing to BCBS of South carolina. This year, 2004, I went ahead and changed. I figured it can't be that differet.. it's all BCBS. WRONG. I got a letter in the mail from my new insurance company telling me that I am excluded from pre-existing conditons for the first year. Thanks for that, Mrs "I'm your employee benefits coordniater and I promise you'll be covered" Way to screw me up on that one. I called the insurance company and they told me to fax them a letter of qualifying coverage. I was on a personal BCBS plan for 4 years, so they sent it to me, and I sent it to them (BCBS of SC ). I then found out they would never cover it.. even if I were 2 days from death. I called my old BCBS and pretended to be my mom. (I originally got insurance because she needed and it couldnt afford it, so I got mine and hers, so the plans are the same) They said they would cover the surgery. I then called back as myself, and asked then what I needed to do to be reinstated. They told me to pay my last 3 months I lasped, (Jan to March) and I would be.. so I went there to lenox in person, and paid it. All is good now.. I should be covered. Had I not thought to call them, I would have given up on BCBS of SC. and never had the surgery. Anyways.. that's my story. Long, and boring, but atleast you're all caught up
Sunny D.
on 3/30/04 2:16 am - South, GA
Welcome--I've been a lurker for a while. I just decided to start being more active as I find myself needing some support. I am 7 months out and started with a BMI of 50. I too, used Champion and was very pleased with him. He is very professional but still kinda "hometown" I am so glad you were able to work your insurance out. I also have BCBS (of ILL). All the different plans can be confusing. You will be in good hands with Champion. Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Lea R.
on 3/30/04 10:05 am - Columbus, GA
Hi Kay, welcome to the ga board. I was just approved for surgery for the 27th of april. I'm using Dr. Christopher Hart in Atlanta and will be having the surgery at Emory Dunwoody Medical Center. I wish you the best of luck... Lea
Carrie R.
on 3/30/04 11:16 am - Gainesville, GA
Hi Kay! It's wonderful news about your insurance. I haven't been here long, and I'm just now going for my application review tommorrow. Please let me know if you ever wanna talk about anything, sometimes it's good to share things with somebody who's going through the same thing!!! Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress. Carrie
Most Active