Dr. Champion

Lkaye
on 3/28/04 5:23 am - Snellville, GA
I just faxed all info. to Dr. Champions office with my insurance and etc. Also I went ahead and sent in the letter my Dr. wrote for necessity. I am wanting the Lap Band done.... Has anyone here had him do the lap band...???Thanks for any advice...
Sunny D.
on 3/28/04 8:39 am - South, GA
I think that Dr. Champion has discontinued the lap band due to inconsistant results. I had a friend checking on it and I believe that's what she told me. I had the RNY 7 months ago. I've lost around 90 pounds. From all the reports and profiles I've read on this site, I believe that the Dr. did not just happen by his name. He is highly competent, no nonsense--a true Champion in the field. I would check on the RNY with him if the LAP Band is no longer being done. I have been very pleased with my choice.
Susan I.
on 3/28/04 9:20 am - -, GA
I believe it is Dr. Macik (who is part of Dr. Champion's group who does surgery at Emory-Dunwoody) who does the Lap Band, but when I checked a few months ago he had not done very many. SusanN postop 2/10/2004
Sunny D.
on 3/28/04 10:27 am - South, GA
Dr. Champion has a partner now named Dr. Williams. He has been with Champion about a year I think. He may still be doing them. I don't know anything about Macik? I did have my surg. at Emory Dunwoody. Hey to you Susan. Your adventure has just started. I hope you are doing well!!!
Lkaye
on 3/28/04 10:36 pm - Snellville, GA
Thanks so much for the help.....
Pat Bell
on 4/1/04 2:18 am - Southeast, GA
Dr. Champion did my RNY on 1/20/04. I had gallbladder removal & RNY on Tuesday and returned to work the following Monday with no problem. I haven't had any complications and can eat anything but grits. He is a great surgeon and person. He really seems to care about his patients post-op as well as pre-op. I felt like he would have sat there all day answering questions. There was no pressure to hurry up. When you leave the hospital you have a cell number which is answered after hours by either Dr. Champion or Dr. Williams. How many doctors do you know that give you a cell # to reach them nights, weekends, etc? When I was looking into surgery in October 2003 Dr. Williams had only done about 30 surgeries even though he had assisted Dr. Champion on a lot of surgeries. If they suggest Dr Williams to you be sure and find out how many surgeries he has done. I've read the first 250-300 surgeries have the most fatalities and complications. I waited for Dr. Champion and feel that was the right decision for me. Give his office a call and ask if they do Lap Band. I found his personnel to be very knowledgeable and helpful during my journey towards surgery.
Lkaye
on 4/1/04 4:48 am - Snellville, GA
Dr. Champion does not do the band anymore but they said that Dr. Williams is still doing the band but he has only done a handful.... which is the scary part..so I am just waiting for them to call me for my appt. to go from there.. they have all my info faxed to them...There is a Dr. Ponce in Dalton GA but that is so far away he has done over 800 bands which that sounds real good.... thanks for the advice...
Most Active