Percentage Rate

Brenda D.
on 3/21/04 9:46 pm - Winder, GA
What is the percentage rate for death and the rate for complication for having wls? I have done a lot of reseach on this surgery. Would like to head for you guys also. Going to a group consultation Thursday March 25 2004.
Angel Sellers
on 3/22/04 3:50 am - Smyrna, Ga
About 5-8% of patients have a risk of a complication related to the surgery, and 0.5% risk of death. Other than the known risk of anesthesia and any major surgery the specific problems which have been reported include: 1) Infection secondary to leakage from the stomach or intestine. 2) Bleeding or injury to the spleen 3) GI tract obstruction secondary to adhesions scarring, or strictures. 4) Malnutrition or anemia 5) Ulcers 6) Chronic vomiting or diarrhea. These are the stats I received from my surgeon when researching this procedure. There is no doubt, however, that this surgery is saving more lives than it loses. It sounds like you are doing all of your homework & going to the group support classes is extremely important & you will find them very helpful . I wish you all the best on your decision. God Bless Angel
NAT
on 3/22/04 10:02 am - Atlanta, GA
Keep in mind the surgeon has there own personal death rate. I would be more concerned on what theres is. Take into consideration how many surgeries this person has done (preferably over a 1000) And if they take higher risk patients. I am at Emory and the death rate there is higher simply becuz they take patients others docs turn down. Patients of substantial size.... Good Luck NAT
Most Active