$300 "Program Fee" for Rothwell/Williams?!!

Jennifer T.
on 2/16/04 1:03 am - Robins AFB, GA
Has anyone had to pay their surgeon's office a "Program Fee"? When I called to schedule my consultation, I was told that there would be a $200-$300 out-of-pocket Program Fee. From what I understand, this fee pays for the office staff to schedule the pre-screen "-ologist" appointments and deal with the insurance company. This fee also covers an online diet and nutrition tracker (something similar is FREE at fitday.com). Doesn't the patient normally schedule their own pre-screen appointments? And doesn't the surgeon's office normally submit a letter of necessity to the insurance company as part of any surgical process? I have heard fantastic things about Drs. Rothwell and Williams, but I am seriously considering other surgeons if I'm going to be expected to pay this additional fee that doesn't seem to be optional.
Tiffany B.
on 2/16/04 4:25 am - Charlotte, NC
Hi Jennifer, I do not know anything about your surgeons, I chose Dr. Titus Duncan in Atlanta based on all my research and his reputation. He does not charge any of these fees. The people I have met online and in seminars and appointments for my surgery have all had experience in some way or another with a doctor and his "program fees". Most felt totally cheated and then ended up coming to Dr. Duncan or another surgeon. There are several doctors out there that have these fees but what I don't understand in how they can charge them when someone as wonderful as Dr. Duncan doesn't and he has one of the best before and after care programs around. Sounds like they just want more money than what insurance will pay them. Seems like a racket to me... Just my 2 cents. Good luck! Tiff (Lap RNY TOMORROW 2/17/04)
kiwani
on 2/16/04 12:12 pm - columbus, ga
jennifer, i looked in to dr. rothwell he seemed to have a good reputation, and his office didnt tell me anything about a program fee... they checked in to my insurance for me and never said a word about that, i didnt use him because even though he was in network the hospital he uses isnt... also because i dont live in macon i would be required to spend one week in macon after i was released from the hospital.. i am now using titus duncan in atlanta, hopefully going to insurance in the next week,, i have bcbs hmo.... kiwani
modeanryan
on 2/16/04 1:45 pm - Duluth, GA
I had to pay $800... I am a little worried... but..we'll see...
(deactivated member)
on 2/18/04 4:45 am - Warner Robins, GA
I am glad you mentioned this. I have been continually bothered by the fact that they have implemented this new fee policy. I have a friend that had the surgery in Nov and never had to pay the fee. I discussed my objection to Hollie but the surgeons have decided that is what they want. I dunno, I'm almost tempted to seek out another surgeon.
(deactivated member)
on 2/18/04 5:23 am - Warner Robins, GA
Ok, so after posting I decided to call the office manager at DR Rothwell's office...Kathy Smith. She said that the fee is a recent change and they made a decision to implement this administration fee for several reasons. One of which is b/c it takes so much more time to deal with the insurance company than regular surgeries...they were actually loosing money in that area with the gals staying after-hours to coordinate the approvals. We all know how much time and effort it takes to deal with insurance companies and schedule appts but also Dr R & Dr W are also bringing a Nutritionist on board as well as expanding their aftercare support with the computer program and better support groups. They have just started a newly post-op support group that takes place 30-45 mins before the other support group starts. They are interested in dealing with the pyschological portion of after-care as well and plan to inplement this into the support group structure. They have an excellent aftercare program it seems. I mentioned to Kathy that the manner in which the new fees were first explained was not very well done. The gal made it seem like it was implemented to pay her salary. I was very put off by it. After she explained that the fee is also for the aftercare programs and those resources it made me feel better. I did ask her if there was a way to allow me and other patients to pay the 200.00-300.00 incremently since I didn't have the 300.00 upfront and was told my file would not be worked until I paid it in full. I told her that I would like to see that inplemented and suggested that we be allowed to pay incremently with the balance being due at by the pre-op appt. She said she would get back with me tomorrow so I will let ou know what she says.
Laura-n-GA
on 2/19/04 4:39 am - Locust Grove, GA
I had my surgery a little over a year ago and I have to say I would have gladly paid $300 for the caring office staff and doctors at Macon Surgical Weight Loss. I didn't have to do anything with insurance or scheduling my appointments. It was all done for me. I just had to show up for the appointments and pay my co-pay to the -ologist. The letter Dr R. wrote to my insurance company is awesome and I'm sure that letter is why I got approval with no questions ask. They are a wonderful group and I'd recommend them to anybody. The after care in the hospital rehab gym is great and the availablility of the staff to answer simple questions after surgery goes above and beyond what I expected. I've never had a problem getting a phone call returned or help when it's needed. Dr Rothwell has had this surgery himself so I know he's only trying to improve on his program to make it more beneficial to his patience. He knows what it's like to go through this surgery and the aftercare needed. I'd think twice before I changed Surgeons because of one fee. After all you want the very BEST surgeons and staff that you can find and you're already there. Good Luck on your journey to a new life and health. ~L~
Jennifer T.
on 2/19/04 8:45 am - Robins AFB, GA
Thanks so much, Tonya for obtaining clarification on the fees. I think if I had known all of this from the beginning I would have felt a little better about it. I still have several questions, and I hope they will all be addressed during my consultation. If I find out any additional details, I will post them. Hopefully in the future, they will provide a better method of explaining the reason for the fees to new patients. Perhaps they could post the information on their website. One question: Are the patients who didn't pay the fee given access to the new after care programs that the fee-paying patients are funding?
(deactivated member)
on 2/19/04 10:37 pm - Warner Robins, GA
Jennifer, I am more than certain that the explanation of the new fees will be much better. I just found out yesterday that Hollie the gal that was explaining the fees is no longer there. Yesterday was her last day. I'm sure when they hire some one to take her place that the explanation will be a lot more clear. PS- I work at Robins AFB and live in Warner Robins. I noticed your profile says Robins AFB;) Do you go to the Mini-Mees support group?
Most Active