Questions, Questions, Questions

BIGYANK
on 2/11/04 6:24 am - Atlanta, GA
I am interested in finding out more about bariatric surgery. I am about 6'2" and 375 lbs. My "ideal" weight would be about 200lbs less than what I currently am. This web site seems useful but it is very cluttered and not that easy to navigate. I live in Atlanta. I called Emory Healthcare in Atlanta and was told that I would need to attend a seminar first. Well, they called me back today and advised me that they have an opening in a "seminar" class this Thursday. What should I expect? I thought that it was a bit odd that they have to fax you the information/driving directions. I was even more puzzled by the location of the "seminar" it's being held in a location that is not even remotely affiliated with Emory Healthcare/University. All of those buildings...you'd think they would have one that could accomodate folks that are inquiring about this surgery. What's the catch? Has anyone used Emory before? What was your experience? I would like to hear from guys who have had this surgery. Nothing against the ladies at all. I am a guy and I would really like to get a guys perespective and most of the stories on here are from ladies. Also, I have BC/BS GA PPO and I would like to know TOTAL out of pocket cost for this surgery--including all of the pre-op visits etc. I know that this will be different for everyone but I'd like to get a range. In addition, what's next after the seminar? I have not been to a doctor (regular physician/internist) in a while and I am not currently seeing one. A lot of the stories on here indicate that I need one. Can someone on here suggest on that is objective and friendly to obese people considering WLS? I am sorry for the long message but I am excited and at the same time expecting something to go wrong. If you can help answer my questions and don't mind sharing information or your story, I'd greatly appreciate it. My email address is [email protected]
hershey dream
on 2/11/04 10:01 am - Duluth, GA
I know you wanted to hear from a guy, and a guy I am not, but I wanted to let you know some things anyway. First off, I attended the seminar for Emory Bariatrics on 02/05/04 and you would not believe the amount of people that were there. The location is not too far from the campus. Because you have BCBS PPO, it is not a requirement for approval, that you have a physician referral, although it would still be a good idea. I can tell you now, that you WILL have to get your psych eval and nutritionist screening before BCBS will even consider approval (this must be paid out of pocket), $265 for psych and $128 for the nutrition screening, but BCBS will reimburse you for both (in time). The seminar I attended was conducted by Dr. Edward Lin, and the entire staff was present, including post-ops in case you have questions. Another thing, if your BMI is greater than 55, Emory WILL NOT operate. They do have programs in order to help you attain a 55, but no surgery until then. After approval, Emory schedules all of your testing to be conducted at Emory, which involves another nutritional screening, another $128. That is all I know for right now...if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know. The seminar is very informative...right down to the nitty gritty.
Melissa J.
on 2/11/04 11:34 am - Woodstock, GA
I'm not a guy either but I do have BCBS HMO and have seen Dr. Scarborough at Emory Adventist. They also have a seminar I think every 2nd Saturday but call first to make sure.
NAT
on 2/11/04 11:36 am - Atlanta, GA
Sorry a guy I also am NOT but gonna give it a toot anyways untill the guys come around. I also have BCBS POS. It is Emory's requirement that you go to the seminar. Mine was held at a churches auditorium to hold all the people attending and give privacy and exclusion to any distraction. It is not that far from the actual Emory facility on Clifton Rd though. Aslo I had no out of pocket expenses except my $20 copay for the Phyc Eval, no payment for the Nutriotionist Eval covered 100%. BCBS wanted 1) Letter of Medical Necessity from PCP 2) Letter of Medical Clearance (same as Necessity just stating your medically cleared for surgery) 3) Nutritions Eval 4) Phyc Eval 5) 10 yr weight history 6) 3 yr diet history and a BMI over 40 for the last 3 yrs also BMI can be under 40 but must show you having serious complications from your weight. 7) Blood work up with a THS(thyroid test) Now keep in mind that Emory does not do any other extensive testing until the surgury is actually approved. I will have another Nutritionist Eval I will have to attend I hear will cost $100 but my insurance says with my policy it is paid. I will have 2 days worth of testing to come just prior to the surgery. But the 7 items stated above was for the purpose of submitting the approval. Now this is what Emory's Bariatric Centers said I needed. My surgeon is C. Daniel Smith. When I called and asked BCBS what I needed they failed to tell me I needed 10 yr weight history or clearance letter. So I would listen to Emory who wants to see you get the insurance company than BCBS whom want to discourage payment and delay process(go figure) So I went the extra step so they will not be calling me with I need this and I need that demands. Good luck to you and hope all is well......
BIGYANK
on 2/11/04 12:08 pm - Atlanta, GA
You have BC BS GA POS and a PCP? My POS does not require a PCP. I imagine that there are many versions though. I am actually getting discouraged though.
NAT
on 2/11/04 10:04 pm - Atlanta, GA
HMMMM GOOD QUESTION YEAH MY PCP'S NAME IS PRINTED ON MY CARD. SO IS MY KIDS DOCS NAME. THEY REQUIRE IT. HMMMM NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT BUT YEAH THERE REALLY DIFFERENT. I AM WITH BELLSOUTH AND THERE POLICY MAY BE DIFFERENT BUT THERE HEALTH INSURANCE IS GREAT!!!! SO I CAN'T COMPLAIN. I DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR IT... NAT
mmeck
on 2/11/04 10:07 pm - Hartwell, Ga
I just had surgery with Dr. Khatain at Emory. Dr. Lin came by to see me alot too. I was very pleased with my experience. The main thing I can tell anyone using Emory is to be proactive. The office staff is very busy. They handle the work for all 5 doctors. Don't wait for them to call you back or to call you with appointments. You should call them. They are all very nice and mean well, but you have to push them a little. I started my journey in September and my seminar was at the hospital/campus. There were only 40 people there. Now I hear they are hosting in the hundreds. The rooms I saw could not accomidate that number. Now I am 15 days post op and -35 pds.
Michelle J.
on 2/11/04 10:50 pm - Savannah, GA
Hi. Im not a guy either. But I have bc/bs of ga ppo as well. They told me they needed a letter from my pcp saying I was medically cleared, thyroid panal, Nutrionist evalution and a pych evalution, plus a bmi over 40, Detailed failed diet history. My surgeon just fax over my paperwork yesterday, and now I'm waiting on approval. Don't know anything about the surgeons at emory, my surgeon is Titus Duncan. Hope this helps, and good luck.
BIGYANK
on 2/12/04 1:33 am - Atlanta, GA
Well, I think that I am going to go tonight. I called BC BS GA this AM and spoke with Nancy who explained my benefits. I have a PPO not a POS. She explained that usually it takes several weeks for everything to come together. She was really nice and did not seemed rushed-that's a rarity in customer service/call centers these days! She explained what I needed which is the same stuff that you guys have said and said that it should all be covered (psych, nutritionist visit etc) and that I should only have to make my normal copays. She just urged me to make sure that I used an in network doctor and said that there are in network providers for all of the services. I only mention this to make sure I am not paying full price something when I don't have to. I can see where the doctors and hospitals could be in collusion to try and get patients to pay full price for the lesser expensive procedures. Thanks for all of your repsonses so far. I have not told a soul about this yet--friends or family. I expect a lot of push back there--that's a whole 'nother story. If any of you can recommend a good internist/general practicioner that I can stick with, I would appreciate it. I heard some people say that Dr. Mark Friedman is good (located on Johnson Ferry Rd in Atlanta) does anyone know anything about him. Also, I saw Dr. Duncan on WAGA tv this AM. He was talking about breast implants. He seemed like a smart and mannerable fellow. I don't think he associated with Emory though.
NAT
on 2/12/04 1:46 am - Atlanta, GA
Well TJ as I am enjoying following your thread. Duncan is not associated with Emory but used to be at one time. He has come up in the world and has opened his own center. Last I heard he was going into plastic surgery perhaps and expanding his center to a substantial size. Hmmm from what you heard this morning that plan may already have taken place. I have heard only excellant things about Duncan. At my place of employment there are about 6 or so people whom had the surgery. They used Duncan, Celio Burrows, Heart, and Smith. They praised them all I must say. Duncan says loose 10 pound before surgery as a requirement so I heard. But good luck to you and keep us posted on how things are going. And POS and PPO are practically the same except for the in network and out network costs. We had ppo last yr. But the offer for surgical procedures are the same. Okay TJ gonna run take care agian NAT
Most Active