Osteoporosis?

webb401_28
on 2/5/04 6:39 am - Gainesville, GA
8 weeks out - 40lbs.off - long plauteau!!! Took Fosamax 5 yrs. with no absorbtion---then, 2 yrs. of Aredia by infusion---and now had compression fractures in my spine last week. Bed rest this week. Bone scan next week, physical therapy,and still another week before appointment at pain clinic.Do any of you post WLS folks have this problem? Seems like I am going about this wl joourney backwards. I was so excited about the loss to come---now, frightened about continuing loss and mobility. The plan was to gain energy and drop meds. Instead, I am gaining problems and adding meds. Grateful this did not happen prior to surgery
gboles
on 2/6/04 4:32 am - Wetumpka, AL
Sorry for your problems but this is not a result of WLS surgery. This has been coming on for years. Hope you improve.
jbereznak
on 2/22/04 11:50 am - Douglasville, GA
Willia, I am a pre-op and osteoporosis is something I worry about too. I have a very strong history of osteoporosis in my family (mother at stage 4/sever and sister only 18 months older than me at level 3). I had a bone density test done about 2 years ago and I was bearly in the normal range then. I will request another before wls surgery to see where I stand now. I have shrunk about 1" since. Once I stood five foot six and a half inches and now five foot four and a half inches. I did discuss my concerns with Dr. Hart and he advised that I just need to be sure to get 1000 to 1500 mg of calcium per day. I am under the impression that you have to be careful of the meds available for osterporosis as they can have an irritating effect on the stomach. I am sorry that you are in that kind of pain. My mom has three compression fractures and she hurts even with the pain meds. She tried the Fosamax and it burned her stomach lining and had to go off it. She also tried something that you use as a nasal spray but it burned her esophagus causing breathing problems. It's a real problem. The only thing that really helps is when she is on a huge very hot heating pad. She stays on that thing about half of the day. I hope that there is something that they can do to relieve your pain and also prevent any further bone loss. Keep us posted and I will remember you in my prayers. Jamie
Most Active