Looking for Dr. Robert Richard Patients

modeanryan
on 1/28/04 7:02 am - Duluth, GA
Hello all, I am planning to have Dr. Richard perform my surgery. I went on the site under the surgeons, and read experiences from all the patients. There were about 3 that had me a little concerned...nicked spleen, wound that didn't heal, etc. Then, just when I am getting down, I read the "People" magazine with Randy Jackson (American Idol) on the cover, and there is a section called "When surgery goes wrong", and it was about a patient who died due to internal bleeding. The doctor was Dr. Dan Proctor, the other surgeon at the center I have been planning to use. I do have a friend that used Dr. Richard, and has had NOTHING but positives. So I think what I need more than anything, is a healthy dose of positive responses from folks that had good experiences, but I'd like to hear both sides, so I can make sure I am making the best decision for ME. Please let me hear from you!! Thank you!!
kimcraig
on 1/28/04 8:41 am - Lawrenceville, GA
Hi Tami, My name is Kim Craig and i'm a 46 year old male.I had open RNY preformed by Dr.Richard on 12-16-03.I have nothing but praise for him and this surgery! There are risks involved with any surgery.The article in People was a misquoted bunch of BS!That poor man did not die from any complications from his surgery at all.I was at 320lbs when i decided to have WLS.I thank god that my PCP referred my to Dr's Procter and Richard.They are great surgeons and they really care about you and your success.I lost 20lbs before surgery and have lost 45lbs more in the 6 weeks since.i spent 2 days in the hospital and was back at work in 3 weeks.I have had no problems at all.This is the best thing i've ever done for myself.Please reseach all you can and be informed.This is a life changing surgery and it is not a magic cure.You need to be ready and commited to make the "tool" work for you.I wish you the best in your journey to a new and happier you, Kim
pambelo
on 1/28/04 9:10 am - Clarkesville, GA
Tami, I too had Dr. RIchard. He did my surgery the same day as Kim. I haven't had any problems so far except eating chicken. Dr. RIchard is very caring and he will answer all the questions you throw at him. He really cares for his patients and the staff at Obesity Solutions are really caring also. I know that this is a huge decision and only you can make it. I really don't think you can go wrong with Dr. Richard. Remember they are human as is every surgeon in the state. It took me 2 years to finally make my decision. I talked as many post op patients as I could. In 6 weeks I've lost 37.5 lbs Good luck, go to the PI meeting. Pam
modeanryan
on 1/28/04 11:16 am - Duluth, GA
Thank you Kim & Pam! Kim, thanks for the suggestion, and I actually have done an awful lot of research, but I guess now that I am actually finally heading towards an actual date (haven't gotten it yet) I am getting nervous. I try very hard not to listen to the silliness people throw my way...(Did you know EVERYONE knows someone who died from the surgery?? I think they all know the same person! ha!) Actually, after I left this post, I called my friend that I mentioned, and spoke with his wife, who is now also planning surgery. She too, gave me lots of encouragment. I am a single mom, with 2 teenage boys, and if something were to happen to me, their support system would be very weak. It's just tough..I know I am not healthy now at this weight, but the thought of something happening scares me for my kids... Thank you both for your words of encouragement!!
Lorie S.
on 1/30/04 9:02 am - Cumming, GA
Hi Tami, I too am a patient of Dr. Richard's. I had surgery 12/23/03. I had a 5 1/2 week check up today and have lost 26 pounds. He explained to me my weight loss will be a little slower initially because I am starting at a lower BMI, and I am doing wonderfully. I have had absolutely no problems or regrets from the surgery. I absolutely love Dr. Richard. He is kind, caring and professional. There are always risks involved in any surgery and you do need to consider them and weigh them against the benefits of the surgery for your own personal case. We all go through the "what if's" - that is normal, but for me this has been a great experience. The article you read was not completely accurate. The misinformation blames the gastric by-pass surgery, when in fact, it truly was not the cause of death. Most of us come to surgery with higher risk factors because of health issues related to obesity anyway, but they fail to report the stories accurately. I too would invite you to attend a Patient Information meeting. They will cover a great deal of information and give you an opportunity to ask questions. I did a lot of research on surgeons and it is my belief I chose the best there is! It is an amazing program. From the PI meeting, it does take quite a bit of time to advance to a surgery date, I think this would be true for most surgeons. Good luck to you, Lorie
Most Active