IOWAN NEEDS RELOCATION INFO ON GEORGIA

michelle57
on 12/20/03 8:23 am - Cedar Rapids, IA
Hello Georgia! My name is Michelle from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I am 46 yrs old and had RNY long limb on August 11, 2003. So far have lost 87.5# and 53". My husband and I are researching a move to Georgia, leaning toward the Augusta area in about 1.5 yrs. I would appreciate anyone willing to correspond to help us get familiar with what Georgia has to offer. (Comments from ALL areas welcome!) We are primarily looking to get away from the snow and cold of Iowa and wish to be within convenient driving distance of the coastal areas we love without having to worry about hurricanes. Both of us will be working in the medical field in secretarial or tech positions.I also have a 15yr background in the field of disabilities and am open to going back to that. We grew up in a rural area and are not keen on living in a big city but would be willing to commute to a larger city for our jobs. We are not wealthy, just ordinary folk looking to better ourselves. If interested, would you mind copying and pasting the following questionnaire and emailing it back to me at [email protected]? 1. What is your favorite part of Georgia and why? 2. What is the worst thing about living in Georgia? 3. Would you ever want to move away from Georgia? Why or why not? 4. What county/town do you live in? 5. What is the percentage rate of your sales tax/property tax? eg How much would annual property tax be on a $75000 property? 6. How far is the nearest medical center? How do you feel about the medical services you have available? 7. Approximately how much is your annual cooling bill? 8. What kind of natural disasters are most prevalent there? e.g. tornados, drought, floods, wind, bugs, mudslides, etc...What can you tell me about the weather? 9. Are there any cultural issues I should be aware of that may not be obvious to a newcomer? If so, any advice on how to deal with it? 10. What is the primary industry in your area? 11. How would you describe your community's reaction to newcomers? We are without family and need a support system. Comments? 12. We have a 7yr old with mild developmental disabilities. What is your opinion of the school system? What do you know about the special education programs offered? 13. What would you say is the biggest thing for us to be cautious about in moving to Georgia? 14. In your community, what areas would you recommend avoiding in regard to buying a home? 15. Describe the incidence of crime and types of crimes common to your community. 16. I like to garden. What grows well there? What is the soil like? Does it need extensive watering? 17. What kind of organizations are you aware of in your community that serve the mentally retarded? Addresses welcome if you have them. 18. What kind of bugs/wild animals are considered the greatest nuisance in your area? 19. We would be looking for a house/manufactured home/acreage under $75000. Is that realistic? What do we need to be careful about? 20. What religious denomination is most prevalent in your area? 21. What comments would you have about the places where you shop for groceries? Good, bad, prices, quality etc.. Any other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Your opinion is valued! Thank you in advance for your kindness! Michelle Hurlbut Cedar Rapids, Iowa
(deactivated member)
on 12/21/03 10:36 pm - Georgia Peach, MD
Hi Michelle, I am originally from Atlanta, but moved to Augusta (Hephzibah) in January of this year for a job promotion. I am currently renting a house, so can't answer questions about property tax in this area. This area is huge in the medical field since the Medical College of Georgia is here as well as other hospitals/VA. You can email me privately for more info.
michelle57
on 12/22/03 11:05 am - Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi Cookie! Thank you so much for replying to my post. This is an awesome way to meet new people and gain insight in our search. Good luck in your WLS journey! If I can be of any help, please email me. I will be emailing you for more info. Michelle
QUEENS B.
on 12/22/03 1:09 am - Jesup, GA
COME ON DOWN! I MOVED HERE FROM NORTH DAKOTA IN 1988 AND HAVE LOVED IT EVER SINCE. I LIVE IN JESUP WHICH IS ABOUT 45 MILES OF THE COAST. I WORK IN BRUNSWICK WHICH IS ON THE COAST. I LOVE IT HERE! HERE ARE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS. HOPE IT HELPS: 1. What is your favorite part of Georgia and why? MY FAVORITE PART IS WHERE I'M AT NOW. I LOVE IT BECAUSE IT IS NOT FAR FROM THE OCEAN AND THE PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY. 2. What is the worst thing about living in Georgia? SAND GNATS IN THE SPRING AND MOSQITOES IN THE SUMMER 3. Would you ever want to move away from Georgia? Why or why not? NO. THE COST OF LIVING SEEMS TO BE CHEAPER AND THE WEATHER IS GREAT. 4. What county/town do you live in? JESUP, GA IN WAYNE COUNTY 5. What is the percentage rate of your sales tax/property tax? eg How much would annual property tax be on a $75000 property? I PAY HOMESTEAD TAX AND IT COMES TO ABOUT 220 DOLLARS A YEAR 6. How far is the nearest medical center? How do you feel about the medical services you have available? OUR HOSPITAL IS ABOUT 7 MILES FROM WHERE I LIVE. PERSONALLY FOR MAJOR STUFF I CHOOSE TO GO TO SAVANNAH. 7. Approximately how much is your annual cooling bill? WE ARE ON THE BUDGET PLAN AND HAVE TOTAL ELECTRIC. IT RUNS ABOUT 250 A MONTH ALL YEAR ROUND. 8. What kind of natural disasters are most prevalent there? e.g. tornados, drought, floods, wind, bugs, mudslides, etc...What can you tell me about the weather? IT IS HOT AND MUGGY IN THE SUMMER. WE HAVE CLOSE CALLS SOMETIMES WITH HURRICANES AND THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE OF A TORNADO. 9. Are there any cultural issues I should be aware of that may not be obvious to a newcomer? If so, any advice on how to deal with it? RACISM IS A BAD ISSUE. ALOT OF THE WHITE PEOPLE ADORE THE OLD CONFEDERATE FLAG WHICH THE STATE HAS CHANGED AND THE BLACKS HATE IT. JUST KEEP AN OPEN MIND AND GET ALONG WITH EVERYONE. 10. What is the primary industry in your area? WOOD PULP AND PAPER PRODUCTS 11. How would you describe your community's reaction to newcomers? We are without family and need a support system. Comments? COMMUNITY IS GREAT. THEY MET ME WITH OPEN ARMS 12. We have a 7yr old with mild developmental disabilities. What is your opinion of the school system? What do you know about the special education programs offered? OUR SON HAS BIPOLAR DISORDER AND IS IN A PSYCHOEDUCATIONAL PROGRAM. THEY ARE GREAT. BEFORE THAT HE WAS IN SPECIAL ED AND THEY GO OVER BOARD TRYING TO MEET HIS EVERY NEED. 13. What would you say is the biggest thing for us to be cautious about in moving to Georgia? THE SAME THINGS AS ANY WHERE ELSE. 14. In your community, what areas would you recommend avoiding in regard to buying a home? LOW LAND 15. Describe the incidence of crime and types of crimes common to your community. SAME AS THE REST OF THE U.S. 16. I like to garden. What grows well there? What is the soil like? Does it need extensive watering? ALMOST EVERYTHING GROWS WELL HERE. THE SOIL IS NOT BLACK DIRT LIKE UP NOTH. IT IS A MIXTURE OF SAND AND CLAY BUT WITH PROPER CARE, IT DOES JUST FINE. WATERING IS NEEDED ON OCCAISION IN THE SUMMER BECAUSE OF THE HEAT. 17. What kind of organizations are you aware of in your community that serve the mentally retarded? Addresses welcome if you have them. WE HAVE A GREAT SYSTEM IN PLACE AT OUR SCHOOL. PLUS THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER PLACES IN NEIGHBORING TOWNS FOR THIS. 18. What kind of bugs/wild animals are considered the greatest nuisance in your area? SAND GNATS AND MOLE CRICKETS 19. We would be looking for a house/manufactured home/acreage under $75000. Is that realistic? What do we need to be careful about? VERY REALISTIC. WE BOUGHT 5 ACRES ON A FRESHWATER CREEK WITH A DOUBLE WIDE ON IT, 2 STALL GARAGE, 20 X 60 STEEL BUILDING, A SMALL FERTILIZER SHED AND A GARDEN SHED FOR 75000 20. What religious denomination is most prevalent in your area? BAPTIST, AND CHURCH OF GOD. HOPE THIS HELPS MY FRIEND. TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS. 21. What comments would you have about the places where you shop for groceries? Good, bad, prices, quality etc..
Lilly D.
on 12/22/03 10:14 am - jonesboro, ga
1. What is your favorite part of Georgia and why? South of Atlanta, because you get the best of both the suburban area within reasonable distance to all the Atlanta "fun and stuff" 2. What is the worst thing about living in Georgia? mosquitos and hot humid summers (ps: we wear shorts into November and then again in March mostly) 3. Would you ever want to move away from Georgia? Why or why not? Dont think so, probably just closer to the ocean 4. What county/town do you live in? Lovejoy (20 min south of Atlanta and 7 min from the Atlanta Motor Speedway if you like racing) 5. What is the percentage rate of your sales tax/property tax? eg How much would annual property tax be on a $75000 property? We have the cheapest taxes around, even though we don't always think so, but it is fact 6. How far is the nearest medical center? From me is Southern Regional I hate it, it sux,,,,,, How do you feel about the medical services you have available? But for children you cant beat Egelston**** 7. Approximately how much is your annual cooling bill? about 100 month 8. What kind of natural disasters are most prevalent there? e.g. tornados, drought, floods, wind, bugs, mudslides, etc...What can you tell me about the weather? Great weather, some flooding in areas, one or 2 tornados a year, No real snow except in the mountains, Ice is our worst. And since we don't have anything, we shut down when we get it. ha ha 9. Are there any cultural issues I should be aware of that may not be obvious to a newcomer? If so, any advice on how to deal with it? 10. What is the primary industry in your area? 11. How would you describe your community's reaction to newcomers? we are friendly, except in atlanta area, MY opinion. just know there are a lot of rednecks and good ole boys dont be intimidated. We are without family and need a support system. Comments? so 12. We have a 7yr old with mild developmental disabilities. What is your opinion of the school system? we have some good schools, but know Ga is near the bottom of the states list What do you know about the special education programs offered? nothing 13. What would you say is the biggest thing for us to be cautious about in moving to Georgia? are you a tolerant person, racially biased? We are prodominatly? Black and more and more Mexican every year. 14. In your community, what areas would you recommend avoiding in regard to buying a home? 15. Describe the incidence of crime and types of crimes common to your community. My community, is a secure place, have had no problems the 3 years lived here 16. I like to garden. What grows well there? What is the soil like? Does it need extensive watering? alot of red clay, but thats what potting soil is for. 17. What kind of organizations are you aware of in your community that serve the mentally retarded? Addresses welcome if you have them. 18. What kind of bugs/wild animals are considered the greatest nuisance in your area? Deer and fire ants 19. We would be looking for a house/manufactured home/acreage under $75000. Is that realistic? What do we need to be careful about? I live in a manufactured home myself If you want a mobile home and acreage, you could do that but you would get a better double wide and couple acres for about that. 20. What religious denomination is most prevalent in your area? Baptist, methodist we have them all sweetie even Morman but have not seen any Jewish synagogues 21. What comments would you have about the places where you shop for groceries? Good, bad, prices, quality etc.. Kroger is high but good, that is has what you need and doubles coupons. I prefer to shop at the wholesale warehouses like Sams Club.
michelle57
on 12/22/03 11:14 am - Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi Lily! Thank you for responding to my post. Where else could I get so much info except from fellow WLS members? 20 years ago moving was just a stab in the dark- you hoped for the best. Now you can really make an educated decision with all the resources we have available! I wish you the best in your WLS journey- if you have any questions I might be able to help you with ,please feel free to email me! Michelle
michelle57
on 12/22/03 11:11 am - Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey Gary! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. Your information was extremely helpful especially considering the fact you are a transplanted northerner. We like the sounds of your town and will add it to our portfolio for consideration as we gather more info. Good luck on your WLS journey and feel free to email me if you have any questions I might be able to help you with! Michelle
Most Active