pre-op weight gain

mmeck
on 12/14/03 6:49 am - Hartwell, Ga
I was wondering if the doctors at Emory would not do surgery if there was a 12 lb weight gain between the initial appointment and the 2nd appointment 4 months later? I am still under the BMI requirement, but the nutritionist was upset with me. I go for my last consult and my date on Dec 22. Should I starve and try to lose or will I be okay? I have posted on the WINGS site, but had no responses. Please help! Marsha
Angela N.
on 12/22/03 7:34 pm - Peachtree City, GA
It's also a great idea to find a protein shake that you can tolerate pre-surgery. They are very filling and provide you with the protein you will need post-op. I've heard they turn you away with weight gain, but don't know anyone who actually lost their surgery date because of it. God Bless you and best of luck...
Tracy F.
on 12/26/03 11:13 am - Tucker, GA
Hello all! This is my first post I know for a fact that Dr. Duncan (the surgeon I am working with for my WLS) will move your surgery date if you gain weight! And a great deal of people on the waiting list "move up" and get their surgery sooner due to people gaining weight . I know people are tempted to "go all out" and eat the "last" of everything you can before surgery. However, it is important to lose that viseral(sp) fat around the liver to make it easier to lift and work with during surgery. You want to be in the best shape possible for surgery and for recovery! Pax, Trace
Most Active