Dr's wanting $ along with 100% insurance payment?

dixie_butterfly
on 11/8/03 10:49 pm - Greenville, GA
I was reading some of the other post about Dr. Duncan. I went to Dr. Orreth Bruce Case in Atlanta and he explained the 2 different types of surgery that he does. One is the open Rny and the other is the Fobi Pouch . I have Medicaid and he said that Medicaid will pay 100 % of the open Rny but none of the Fobi. He says that the Fobi is better for me. So I told him that I could get on my husbands insurance in January and they say they will pay 100% of my surgery. He said even though the insurance will pay 100 % he requires that for the Fobi that I have to pay $2500 up front.. Why do I have to pay $2500 if my insurance company will pay 100% of everything.. I also posted a question if anyone knows Dr. Case cause I can't find anything on the internet about him. I have tried to do research but turned up nothing.. If anyone knows anything about him please let me know!!
Pam B.
on 11/10/03 4:48 pm - Locust Grove, GA
Kim... insurance doesn't usually cover the Fobi part of the procedure, in fact I don't think I have ever heard of it covering. There are several docs in Atlanta who do offer the Fobi along with the RNY and they all require additional money up front. So while your insurance or your Medicaid will cover your RNY %100, they will not pay for the Fobi portion. Have you researched to be sure you actually desire to have the "extras" of the Fobi? The RNY itself is considered the "gold standard" of weight loss surgery and is an excellent procedure even w/o the added Fobi pouch. Also if your doc is FORCING you to add the Fobi, I would definatly look for another doc! I am 3 1/2 weeks post op RNY and have lost 25 pounds! Hope this helps... Pam in GA PS never heard of Dr. Case
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/03 12:04 pm - Gainesville, GA
Kim, I've never heard of Dr. Case either. But I do know about the Fobi pouch. It isn't covered because it isn't approved. What's more, you don't need it. The people who do get it do not experience better weight loss. I've compared. I suggest that you read my profile. -Wezli
Most Active