X- Post Calling all Macik Patients

onemoretry
on 11/14/11 7:23 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
I have been contemplating if I should ask this question here or not, I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I have been researching different surgeons here in the Atlanta area and so far I have chosen Dr. Macik. I don't have my first appointment with him until Jan 3rd.

While doing my research I found that he has had a malpractice settlement against him or his practice. I plan to ask him about this when I meet with him, and have every intention of using him as my surgeon, as long as he can put my mind at ease with his response.

I was wondering if any of you knew about this settlement and did you ask him any questions about it? Were you satisfied with the answers your were given?
heardb
on 11/14/11 11:06 am - GA
Macik, was my surgeon. I'm very happy with the Job he did on both myself and my wife. I've never heard of a malpratice suit he had. I can say that he's done thousands of WLS's so if you only found one malpratice suit then you in good hands
onemoretry
on 11/14/11 11:36 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Yes, there is only one. You hit it dead on, I just want to make sure I am in good hands. I was all set and then I found this. I have not changed my mind about him, just want to make sure I know everything before I go under the knife.  I was looking at your profile yesterday and you have done an amazing job so far. How is your wife coming along?
heardb
on 11/14/11 3:28 pm - GA
She's great her HW:398 her CW:182 she's18mnths out
onemoretry
on 11/14/11 8:56 pm - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
OMG! That is so crazy to me, I see the pictures and the numbers all the time and I am like, can this really work for me? Tell her I said congrats on a job well done, you are both real inspirations.
heardb
on 11/14/11 9:55 pm - GA
Yeah it does work! And honestly The office staff there is the BEST especially Robin, his office nurse, Listen too her she's not only the nurse but she's a member of the WLS club so she knows what she's talking about. OK FYI Doctor Macik is very direct, straight forward, shoot from, the hip type of person. He's not the hee haa type. Not only is he a WLS surgeon, he is the head surgeon for Northside Hospital, and that Hospital rides on his License that certifies them as a bariatric hospital, he's also on the Board at Emory School of Med. Your w/ the best!
onemoretry
on 11/14/11 10:29 pm - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
That shoot from the hip personality is why I chose him. While at the seminar he said, straight up, for the 1st month or 2 you are going to ask yourself over and over, why did I do this to myself?  He said once you get past that it is smooth sailing so to speak. I have done 4 seminars so far. He is the only one that did not push one surgery over the other and he is the only one that did not make it seem like the surgery was a walk in the park. He let us know it was not going to be easy, but if we put the work in we could lose the weight and keep it off.

Thanks so much for keeping it real with me. I feel like I have made the right choice. I hope to meet you and your wife one day. Along with the rest of the members here on the GA board.
heardb
on 11/14/11 10:43 pm - GA
One month? I was like what the hell did I do when I woke up in recovery......lol real talk! Really had happen was I did not know that my body didn't respond to morophine, not sure if they told you about the pain from the gas used to expand your stomach, I felt it all, I honestly have a low tolerance for pain, but once they got me on the right pain meds it was smooth sailing, Food was the last thing on my mind, I didn't care to eat didn't want to drink, I touched nothing for the 3 days i was in the hospital. I had some issues down the road but Dr. Macik took care of them right then and there. Keep in touch, maybe when I am a year out I can add my photos to that book on the table in his office.
Nick E.
on 11/15/11 11:04 am - Duluth, GA
 Let me chime in as well. I am 15 months out and down a total of 185 lbs since the start of my journey, which began with a Seminar led by Dr Macik. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his staff. You could not be in better hands, literally. I did finally get him to acknowledge his preference for the VSG over the more traditional By Pass and Lapband procedures for my case once my insurance company started covering the VSG.

CColeman
on 11/16/11 9:14 am
Today is my 2 year surgerversary! I have had virtually no problelms and lost 135 pounds in 14 months. It has made me half the woman I used to be, but also twice the woman I used to be! I feel fierce!
One must realize that Macik is not a talker and does not have a great  bedside manner, but he has always answered any question I have asked.  His office staff has always been helpful. When it comes down to it, everyone must make their own decision. I went into surgery with confidence in my surgeon and my ability to succeed. Attitude is everything.

Most Active