Nutritionist Suggestion

cindyls06
on 5/11/11 2:46 pm - Marietta, GA
Hi, I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a nutritionist in the Atlanta area? I have the sleeve and I am hoping to find one who is really familiar with things that WLS patients should/can eat.

Hopefully not one who tells me I should be eating 1200-1500 calories a day when I am good if I can get in 800..lol Today my stomach decided it wasn't happy with the chicken I was eating (at 7pm) and i only got in 566 calories because it just was not accepting any more food and the idea of drinking a protein shake was not appealing to it either.

I live on the north east of Atlanta, but they don't have to be all the way up here. I will travel for good advice.

-Cindy

Rides4me
on 5/12/11 2:24 am - Atlanta, GA
Rachel Brandeis  She also works out of the Johns Creek Surgery office as well as somewhere in the Perimeter.

SW 301/CW 205/GW 150 
gallbladder removal and hernia repair 6/3/2011
LynetteT
on 5/12/11 8:46 am - Gwinnett County, GA
I use Rachel also. I see her out of her Perimeter Mall area office. She is good and has helped me alot.
HW:297-SW:278-CW-220-GW-150--http://www.youtube.com/user/sarahsmomma1

rtptjd
on 5/12/11 9:33 pm - Atlanta, GA
I used Rachel Brandeis also.  She is terrific and very familiar w/ WLS.  She has an office right at Perimeter Mall.  Very encouraging but straightfoward & gets right down to business.  She had lots of good suggestions for me, and I hope to see her again after I have surgery -- whenever that might be!

I don't have her contact information handy but if you Google her you should be able to find it.  I was able to easily set up appointments via email.  She is in the Perimeter office only a few days a week.  Good luck!
LynetteT
on 5/12/11 10:12 pm - Gwinnett County, GA
Here is Rachel's contact [email protected] or 770-392-4200-office, 770-752-4984-cell
HW:297-SW:278-CW-220-GW-150--http://www.youtube.com/user/sarahsmomma1

Nick E.
on 5/12/11 10:55 pm - Duluth, GA

I have not used a Nutitionist since the required Prequalification manadatory visits requred by AETNA. Maybe my experience was unique, but the ones I saw seemed to be just going through the motions with little understanding of the special challenges of WLS as we need to learn to live on much Lower calories, high protein and limited food tolerances. I did a lot of personal reading that helped me get my head around my new "Fuel versus Food", Hydration and Nutrition realities.
My surgeon was also Dr Paul Macik and he recommended using Skim Milk to help with my Fluid  and Protein intake goals. For the past 8 months,  I have used Dry Non Fat Milk powder to boost up my daily Hot Chocolate drink with Whey protien  powder. The warm liquid seems to go down well.
I also just found some bargain prices and coupons for the Atkins Protein drinks that have 15 g of protein with very little sugar. I love the Mocha Latte flavor.
Speaking of Lattes. Check out the Non Fat No Sugar Mcdonald's McCafe Latte and Capucino Coffee drinks. They are very low calorie and have some good levels of protein from the use of the Non-fat milk products. Good Luck on your Journey!!!!

cindyls06
on 5/13/11 11:01 am - Marietta, GA
Hi Nick - Thanks for your response too! I am trying to do some research on nutrition and the best way to go about getting in protein and calories without resorting to junk and loading up on protein shakes.  Today i bought some type of low fat lactose free milk. I am going to test it out and in a few and see how that goes. But i am intrigued by the non-fat dry milk.  I don't remember seeing that in supermarket..but then again I have never looked. Where do you get it from?

I did try the skim milk it still felt a little weird in my stomach, but nothing like the lowfat milk. Some time has passed so I might try another little carton/bottle of skim milk and see how that goes.

Do you drink caffeinated beverages? I have been sticking with decaf, although they probably have these drinks in decaffe and Mc'D's. I will check it out. I have also never tried the Atkins Mocha Latte. i will have to give that a try.

Thanks again!!

-Cindy

Nick E.
on 5/16/11 5:52 am - Duluth, GA
I found the NonFat Dry Milk in the section with Hot Cholcolate mixes and coffee at Publix. It comes in a box with several multiple serving envelops. I also use the No Sugar Added NESQUIK mix. Warm liquids seem to go down much better than cold stuff.

I used to stay away from Coffe with Caffeine but recently it doesn't seem to cause any problems for me. I'll take my Kicks where I can find them these days!

Keisha770
on 6/20/11 8:44 am - Powder Springs, GA
I have Aetna Isurance as well and am having my surgery with Dr. Macik. I have a few questions about the process with Aetna and how much you had to pay out of pocket? Also, after approval, how long did it take you to get a surgery date?
cindyls06
on 5/13/11 10:54 am - Marietta, GA
First ladies, thanks for the nutritionist suggestion. I will give her a shot because I am getting confused and hoping to get some one on one guidance. I log my food everyday and although it seems like I am doing most of what I should. I just would like someone to look at it and give me their opinion.

It's tough and I think I just need a little more support, especially because I feel like I might be a slow loser. After all I have gone through I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. But its still early and I can be a little extreme. So we will see.

Thanks again!!  I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes.

-Cindy

Most Active