Help! Help! Dr. will not write letter for me.....

acpme42
on 4/21/11 10:50 am
I have been on this journey since last Oct. and did not think it would be SO hard to get the support I need from the medical community.  To put it in a nutshell, neither my OB nor regular GP will write the 'letter of medical necessity' that Aetna requires to approve me for the VSG.   Both doctors say I  am "not that big" and my GP actually had the nerve to tell me to try the South Beach Diet after I gave her the littany of diets I had been on over the past 25 years!!!  She told me that since I have had kids recently, things will be different now and I will have more success.  WTF!!  She went on to say that b/c I do not have any comorbidities, Aetna will not approve me even though I am well within the criteria for a BMI over 40 with no comorbidities.

I feel like banging my head against the wall.

Any advice would be so appreciated!!

BTW- I have a BMI of 41.

Belinda
sassyjonz
on 4/21/11 1:25 pm, edited 4/21/11 1:25 pm - Atlanta, GA
Not true.  I got approved by Aetna with a BMI right at 40 with no co-morbids.

Try another PCP.  I can PM you mine if you like.  She was very supportive of my decision and I was a lightweight.

Lia

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

Nick E.
on 4/23/11 1:12 am - Duluth, GA
Sounds like it is time to change your PCP / GP. You don't want to depend on a PCP/GP that doesn't support or understand the post Bariatic Surgery issues. Some PCP/GP are not familar with the VSG (restrictive only) procedure so you may have to do some educating on the differences betweeb the VSG, Lapband amd By Pass. I would ask Dr Macik for a referal . I also have AETNA and my PCP is Richard Maxa in Duluth @ 678 597 3180 and he is now very supportive of my VSG decision and after care issues. Originally he was hesitant to issue the required letter but after his experience with my progress he seems to be fully on board.

acpme42
on 4/23/11 10:25 am
Nick-  Thank you for a post full of good advice and very useful information.   I really appreciate you providing me with your PCP's contact info. 

My plan is to contact Dr. Macik's office next week to see what they recommend I do and then go from there.

I will post back with my results.  Wish me luck.... 
cindyls06
on 4/27/11 1:32 pm, edited 4/27/11 1:33 pm - Marietta, GA
I asked Dr. Macik directly for a referrel and he referred me to Dr. Sandra Banks - 404-381-1831. Her office is around the corner from his.

She was great and supportive.

-Cindy

acpme42
on 4/28/11 1:33 am
Cindy- Thank you, thank you for that number- I will definitely check her out:)
MARIA F.
on 4/28/11 11:11 am - Athens, GA

Perhaps the Dr. has stock in South Beach?!

Regardless.............time to change Drs. They are SUPPOSE to have you best interest at heart. Yours obviously do NOT! Get a Dr. that will work for YOU!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active