Newbie-self pay- gastric sleeve..

Mel_Ga
on 4/5/11 12:42 pm
Has anyone used Dr. Michael Williams or Dr. Dennis Smith for Gastric sleeve? I was quoted around $21,000 for Williams and he is much closer, but my hubby liked what he read about Dr. Smith.  Smith price quote was $16,000 (does not include a $400 fee and testing fees.)  I already have some testing documentation such as chest x-ray that they may be able to use. 

It sounds like I can get the surgery a lot faster with Williams, but my computer savy  hubby did not like his website.hahah.  Dr. Smith has videos of his surgeries explaiing them and hubby liked that he has so much experience.

Williams-
Pros-
Can get apt faster and then surgery about 2 weeks after..(what they said on the phone at least.)
Closer to home

Cons- Cost higher, but not sure yet if I can get it lowered since I have some tests done already?
Hubby really leaning toward Smith

Smith-
Pros-
Center of exc./years experience

Cons-
Not so close to home
Will require more pre-surgery testing (I think)

One other thing..I am barely 35 BMI on my heavy days.  If I fall below that for my apt with Dr. Smith (not sure when) I could get in then they will not do the surgery even though i am self pay.

There might be another surgeon to look at too.  I prefer not to have surgery at Northside for personal reasons so I would rule out a surgery there.

I hope someone can help me figure all this out:)
Mel_ ga
sassyjonz
on 4/5/11 1:27 pm - Atlanta, GA
Well, if you look at the surgeon profiles here on OH, Dr. Smith has performed 55 VSGs and Dr. Williams has performed 5.  Dr. Smith does all 4 of the weight loss surgeries and actually trains other surgeons on how to do the DS lap surgery.  I think Dr. Williams does all but the DS.  Check the surgeon profiles...you can get a lot of information and read reviews. 

Just my personal opinion, but if Dr. Smith had been available to me on my insurance when I was having my surgery, I would have chosen him.  He was THE best in the metro area in all my research.

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

Lynne
on 4/5/11 10:49 pm - Macon, GA
If you are willing to go to Augusta there is Dr Arthur Chasen.  Trinity Hospital is also a Center of Excellence and Dr Chasen performs all 4 surgeries.

Lynne
Highest 330,    Surgery 297,     Goal 140.     Current 130
First Dr visit - 330 -
BMI 58.4,    Surgery - 297  BMI 52.6
01/24/2011 - 196 BMI 34.7 (ONEderland YEAH!!!),                 ...GeorgiaPink
08/10/2011 Reached GOAL Baby! 140 BMI 24.0                           is my Angel.
08/24/2011
- 139 BMI 23.8 One Year Anniversary 

LaShelle2
on 4/5/11 10:53 pm, edited 4/6/11 5:54 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Another point to consider is Dr. Smith does tons of DS surgeries.  This is the same as the sleeve with the added malabsorption.

DS surgeons are the most highly skilled in the wls community!

I am surprised Smith is less expensive than Williams, since Smith is a more skilled surgeon. I would imagine his schedule is also busier.

If you are wanting someone who does a lot of vsg, I would consider Dr. Macik as well. He has many happy patients on here.

OK, on a side note...  I know you don't want to hear this but....

You have a very low bmi. Are you 100% sure you wnat to have surgery?  Have you tried absolutely EVERYTHING to do it on your own?

Surgery is NOT an easy way to lose weight.

I know we SMO folks tend to roll our eyes at you skinny  minnies going under the knife  :-), but seriously, wls is not fun :-(

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Paul C.
on 4/5/11 11:36 pm - Cumming, GA
Dr Hart also does a lot of VSG procedures. I know a number of people that have used him and have nothing but good things to say.

I also agree that if your a straddling the BMI borderline that you look and see if this is a step you really need to take as opposed to being the only thing you can do.  If you have a lot of comorbidities then obviously it is an easy answer but this major surgery.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
LaShelle2
on 4/6/11 12:07 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Paul, you're looking quite handsome on the new pic!!!

How much have you lost?

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Mel_Ga
on 4/6/11 10:45 am
Thank you for the info.  I do have sleep apnea and can't tolerate the cpap and have painful joints and fatigue that prevent me from working out as hard as I would need to to get this weight off.

I still need to research how much you can eat with the gastric sleeve down the road after recovery.  

Do people ever have issues with low blood sugar after wls?  Thanks 
LaShelle2
on 4/6/11 12:05 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Mel, yes you can have low blood sugar, but thsat would be more likely with a rny because it is malabsorptive.

Could you clarify "what you can eat down the road"?

With pretty much all these wls, you can eventually stretch your stomach out to eat a large amount of food.  This is why some people regain.  It would take a couple of years for you to do that, but believe me it can and will happen if you are not careful.

One point to consider is vsg is restriction only, so you will be relying mainly on the smaller meals and the healthy food choices to lose and keep the weight off.  You can easily self sabatoge a vsg rny, or lapband by consistiently overeating.

With a vsg, you will need to be on a DIET the rest of your life. That does not mean you will never enjoy a potato chip or cookie ever again, but you WILL need to be concious and set limits for yourself.

This is something you need to research in depth.  Check out the revisions forum and see what made others succeed or fail.

You made a good move joining OH. You will get lots of feedback here.

Have you considered water aerobics or a stationary bike for exercise?  That should be more gentle on your knees.

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

Most Active