Upcoming Appointment With Dr. Macik

sunshine_08
on 3/12/11 3:54 am - GA
VSG on 06/06/12
 I have my initial consultation with Dr. Macik in about two weeks.  I am considering the lap band.  What can I expect at this consultation?  I have Aetna insurance which requires the completion of a 6 month physician supervised excercise/diet program or a 3 month multidisciplinary surgical prep regimen. Did anyone have to complete these requirements and does Dr. Macik set you on the path to complete the requirements or should I meet with him after I've completed the requirements?  Did the process require you to work with a psychologist?

I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide.

Thank you.
Paul C.
on 3/12/11 6:44 am - Cumming, GA
First appointment is when they will talk to you about your surgery and if he feels something besides the band would be better and why.

I had the same requirements you do and was giving the mummers to call to get the process started.

Everyone at his office is great and very helpful.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
walterswife
on 3/12/11 8:10 am
I think that Paul said it all. I would just like to tell you that you should research the band.....and consider all four of the WLS options.  Of the four, the band has the worst stats.  Just be informed.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

cindyls06
on 3/12/11 11:40 am - Marietta, GA
)Tifany (the person I dealt with about insurance stuff) in Dr Macik is really good and is well versed on the requirements for the different insurance company. I have Aetna and did the 3 month plan. It was no biggie. I went to a psychologist & nutritionist the office suggested. I didn't have to travel far at all for my appts. I made them myself, but I went to see Macik first for the first visit. then I just made sure that I saw all 3 of them once a month for the next 2 months. Then you just have to follow up that they sent in your paperwork into Macik's office. I did Oct, Nov, Dec, and My paperwork was submitted in the first couple of weeks in January and I am having my surgery next week.

I also recommend you look into all of the sugeries. There are people with success and then people who aren't that successful with all the surgeries. I would encourage you to look at all the boards and see what kind of challenges people face with all of the surgeries.

Oh yeah and Dr. Macik is a man of few words. I personally think he is great, he will take the time to answer all of your questions and doesn't seem to be in any kind of rush, but he doesn't do a whole lot of side chit chatting - which is fine by me. :-)

sunshine_08
on 3/12/11 11:29 pm - GA
VSG on 06/06/12
 Thank you everyone for your responses.  I will definitely look into all of the WLS options.
Nick E.
on 3/13/11 11:47 am - Duluth, GA

Dr Paul Macik was my surgeon and I also have AETNA insurance. My biggets hurdle to getting the final insurance approval was getting the cooperation needed from my PCP, which was a struggle to get the needed timely cooperation to issue the Medical Necessity Letter. I suggest you work that issue ASAP to be sure your PCP is onboard. Which Hospital are you going to use? Are you going to any Support Groups? Dr Macik does regular briefings at Northside and Emory Johns Creek Hospitals.

sunshine_08
on 3/15/11 12:31 pm - GA
VSG on 06/06/12
 I'm undecided on hospitals.  Is there a preferred one?  I live close to Northside Hospital.  I am not going to any Support Groups at the present time.
Paul C.
on 3/16/11 6:09 am - Cumming, GA
The kicker is that Macik only does Emory Surgeries on Friday.  This worked perfect for my schedule as I was able to work the week and have surgery and hospital stay on friday and the weekend.

It was also closer to where I live.

I did spend a week at Northside Perimeter on the Bariatric Unit later for a complication.  I recieved excellent treatment at Northside, but Emory will always be my first choice.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Nick E.
on 3/15/11 11:09 pm - Duluth, GA
I was very pleased with Emory Johns Creek Hospital and they have an excellent Support Group program run by Lynee Winnie. She can be reached at 678 474 8222.
I have also heard good things about Northside Hospital and their Support Group. I suggest you contact Dr Macik's office for a contact at Northside.

MzTiff
on 3/16/11 10:43 pm - Lithonia, GA
I agree with Nick, Emory John's Creek is awesome!!!!  The hospital is about 40-45 minutes from where I live, (which means I pasted at least 2 hospiatls who perform bariatric surgery to get there) but I would recommend it to EVERYONE.  The staff was wonderful, and since it is a bar. hospital, everyone is VERY knowledgeable and "used" to patients who have had our surgeries. 

I did not attend the meetings there, but Lynne came to see me the day after my surgery.  She gave me a WONDERFUL lunch tote (that I use daily), journal, and reading material that was really helped me throughout my journey.  She was really sweet, and sat with my family and I for almost an hour..........   

Kudos Johns Creek!!!!!

HW-  255       SW- 239     GW-150      CW- 143 (uh!!!! 4 more lbs needed for 100) 
Most Active