Macik - Leak Rate

cindyls06
on 3/6/11 11:50 am - Marietta, GA
I am going to call the office in the morning to get more info on this, but someone posted on the VSG board that Macik has a 1 out of 10 (10%) leak rate. That sounds extremely high. I have never heard anything like that but like I said I am going to call the office tomorrow.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4351922/Dr-Aceves-Leaks/

Just wanted to see if this is something that anyone else has heard? 

walterswife
on 3/7/11 12:45 am
I have not heard that but see no way that could be a correct figure.  Perhaps the person meant .1% rather tan 10%.  Please let us know what you find out.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

walterswife
on 3/7/11 12:52 am
On second thought, maybe it is 1%.

Either way, I would not be concerned.  Leaks do happen and your surgeon has an excellent reputation.  I believe you will be in good hands.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

LynetteT
on 3/7/11 5:46 am - Gwinnett County, GA
I am not sure of the leak rate, but I do feel as though I couldnt have been in better hands.  Even while waiting for surgery nurses and other doctors were commenting on his great skills.  If you do everything he ask from preop to post op, I think you will be fine.  I did everything he asked and was able to go home in 1 day.  I am still experiencing very little pain and am up and moving around every hour. 

Wishing you great surgery and speedy recovery.

cindyls06
on 3/7/11 6:08 am - Marietta, GA
Thanks ladies for your responses..and Lynette I am glad you are doing well!! I forgot to call the office today...so you can see how concerned I was about the comment made about Dr. Macik. As I posted on the vsg board I have never heard a bad thing about him in the year I have been trying to get this surgery...and ppl are generally more likely to chime in on their personal bad experiences with service than with good. So I will still ask but just because so I can clear up peoples misconceptions about him.

Thanks again! Can't wait for my date... T-8 days!!!

nilesmama08
on 3/7/11 9:07 am - Atlanta , GA

Hey Cindy,

I met over 20 Macik patients on OH and sleevetalk.com. I even met a three year sleeve patient of Macik's at a support group.  Every single person has great things to say about Dr. Macik.  I feel he is one of the best for sleeve surgery in Atlanta.  You can call to find out the leak rate but I would not change my plans on hearsay. It does not make sense to switch from a very experienced vsg surgeon to a surgeon without much experience especially due to gossip. You made the right choice.

Stephanie

curiouscat7
on 3/9/11 10:34 am

And u believe what this guy is saying????

I'm 2 yr post op an doing great...... don't believe it for a minute... He is one of the top docs around....

Dont sweat it.... your in great hands...Literally

CC

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Nick E.
on 3/11/11 10:06 am - Duluth, GA
I am convinced that Dr Macik is one of the best Bariatric surgeons in the Atlanta Area. I have never heard anything negative about his skills.

brenda549
on 3/11/11 11:42 pm - Duluth, GA
Another Macik patient here.  I have had no complications.  With all the people in and out of support groups and in his office that I have spoken with, I have not heard of any leaks.  That doesn't mean they do not happen, but 10% seems a little high. 
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

M U.
on 3/12/11 9:24 am
Gotta chime in here and say to please research VERY carefully. Heresay is iffy and I agree with the others here about Dr Macik's reputation and skills being pretty impeccable. I had ZERO complications nor have I heard or seen of any with his patients. Get the facts before freaking out over this.
Most Active