HELP!!! My Surgery Is Next Week! What Kind of Protein Do I need?

LaShelle2
on 1/3/11 8:18 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
This question is one of the most often asked on the board. 

I am inclined to suggest,  if you are having wls in a week and don't know which protein, vitamins, etc. you need for your aftercare, cancel the surgery until you have done all your research! Someone being less than a month from one of the  the most life altering medical and emotional changes in your life and not knowing the mere basics just baffles me. 

Not only do I question a patent's self efficacy, but also the quality of the surgeons and nutritionists that clear these seemingly clueless patients.  If you haven't been well educated about something as basic as protein, and vitamins, what else did the surgeon fail to mention? These are minimally acceptable components of pre-surgical education in even a marginal bariatric program. 

Do not be duped by a facility's Center of Excellence Credential.  Medicine is as much about money as it is about care and concern for patients. COE seems to be more about a hospital completing the right paperwork and jumping through the right hoops, than quality of care, clean, modern facilities,  and surgeons. 

Likewise, a surgeon's popularity, let's say having a daily news segment and having a  massive number of patients,  does not necessarily equate him or his practice partners being the best in the industry.  

I have noticed through personal contact from such a surgeon's patients, these seem to be the ones educating their patients the least. Maybe if more time were spent educating the patients, than counting his spoils and reveling in his popularity, this question wouldn't have to be asked so much.

So, out of frustration,  and concern for my pre-op OH family out here, I have decided to share my compilation of data on everything protein.

I hope this will benefit  someone out  in cyber world. 

Remember, I am not a doctor, I just play one on OH.
LaShelle2
on 1/3/11 8:31 am, edited 1/3/11 11:35 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
  What Is a Clear Liquid?

When you are first released from the hospital, you will likely be placed on a clear liquid diet. This typically lasts 1-2 weeks depending on the type of wls and your surgeon's personal preference.

Acceptable Clear liquids include:

-clear protein drinks or powders

-broth - Many people find the liquid drained from a clear soup like chicken noodle more appealing, just make sure you don't eat the noodles and veggies. Feed it to your pet, or don't even open the can all the way so you won't be tempted. Out of sight out of mind.

-bullion cubes, granules, paste. Better Than Boullion Paste is really tasty mixed w/ unflavored Unjury.

-sugar free jello

-sugar free Popsicles

-sugar free drink powder, Crystal
 Light, Koolaid, Wylers, etc.

- Water, including vitamin water and  protein water. NOT sparkling water.

- Coffee, tea with non calorie sweetener, no creamer or milk. Decaf is best since caffeine is a diuretic and causes you to lose water. Post-ops are prone to dehydration, you do not want to sabotage yourself.

- Sugar free fruit juice diluted with water. Avoid citrus juice because it may irritate your tummy.  Try baby juices.

READ THE LABEL! MAKE SURE IT IS LOW CARB AND SUGAR FREE OR LOW SUGAR (LESS THAN 10G PER SERVING)!

JUST BECAUSE THE LABEL SAYS LOW SUGAR OR SUGAR FREE DOES NOT MEAN THERE IS NOT SWEETENER IN IT. THERE MAY BE OTHER SWEETENERS LIKE CORN SYRUP, GLUCOSE, FRUCTOSE, ETC.  
YOU HAVE TO READ THE LABELS.
LaShelle2
on 1/3/11 8:40 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
  Which Proteins Are Clear Liquids?

Finding a protein that is also a clear liquid is challenging. Most proteins readily available in grocery and department stores are creamy, not clear liquids.

Clear protein means the light should shine through it. They are not actually
clear like water. This can be a little confusing.

A general rule is to avoid anything chocholate, vanilla, strawberry, and anything with cream or creamy in the name.  You should hold off on these flavors until you have been cleared to consume full liquids.

Clear protein powder should be mixed with a clear liquid (see list above). DO NOT blend with mil**** cream or yogurt. You may prefer a savory protein drink, such as an unflavored variety mixed with broth. These can also be enjoyed warm which many find easier to get down early out.
LaShelle2
on 1/3/11 9:09 am, edited 1/3/11 9:23 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Clear Proteins

UNJURY 

$18.85 17 scoop canister

CLEAR FLAVORS
unflavored
chicken soup
strawberry sorbet

Nutrition  20g protein per scoop

contact 
www.unjury.com
800-517-5111

* sample sizes available
* not sold in stores, must order
  through mail order or from surgeon's
  office.

----------------------------------------

Natures Best Isopure Ready To Drink

$49.99 12 bottle case GNC bogo 50% off

Nature's Best® Isopure Zero Carb - Variety Pack - NATURES BEST - GNC
Clear Flavors

unflavored powder

Alpine Punch
Apple Melon
Blue Raspberry
Grape Frost
Icy Orange
Passion Fruit
Pineapple orange bananna

* NOTE the RTD smoothies are NOT clear liquids

Nutrition
40g protein per 20 oz bottle

contact

www.theisopurecompany.com

GNC Pro Flex Sports
Vitamin Shoppe Advantage Supplements
CWI Medical Tommy K Vitamins
Docs Nutrition Depot Bodybuilding.com
Muscle Outlet Carb Essentials & More
Performance Nutrition Bariatric Eating
DPS Nutrition  

* can buy individual bottles to test flavors

* available at retail stores GNC and vitamin shoppe and some gyms

* Isopure Mass line  has 13g sugar! avoid this one

-------------------------------------

Syntrax Nectar
   $44.95 for 36 scoops

Clear Flavors
roadside lemonade
lemon tea
apple
carribean cooler
fuzzy navel (my fave)
strawberry kiwi
twisted cherry

Nutrition
23g protein per scoop

contact
www.si03.com/reg_index.htm

866-333-7403

* sold at GNC and vitain shoppe
* can call and request samples
* sometimes offer sample pack with all
  flavors for about $9.99

-------------------------------------

Cytomax Ready to Drink by Cytosport

Nutrition
40g protein per 20 oz serving

clear flavors
watermelon
orange tangerine
tropical fruit

Contact
www.cytosport.com
1-888-298-6629
email: [email protected]

* avaialble at Kroger and GNC

LaShelle2
on 1/3/11 9:43 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
 What to Look for in a Protein Drink  

1. Is it Whey Protein Isolate.
avoid whey portein concentrate, protein blends, colagen protein, soy protein. 

2. How much protein per serving?

3. How many scoops or oz is a serving

ex.(Nectar's label says 50g protein per serving, but a serving is 2 scoops. You will only be able to drink 1 scoop at a time, so really you should only count 25g protein. per serving) 

4. Is it sugar free and carb free?

This will be critical if you have rny because you may dump, and with DS because it may cause gas and loose BM early out.

It may also slow down rate of weight loss in all wls types.
LynetteT
on 1/3/11 10:14 am - Gwinnett County, GA
Lashelle, this is a good post.  I have seen that question many times also.  You are so right. I have most of this info, but was also wondering about something I saw a while back.  "Ab binder". Did you use this?  If so, did you find it helpful when moving around?
LaShelle2
on 1/3/11 11:44 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Lynette,

No, I didn't wear a binder. I think that may be used more with open surgeries and not so much for laproscopic. I believe Macik only does laproscopic unless there is a complication.

I was in little pain post op except when I tried to rest. They will give you plenty of pain meds.

I think a binder would have been more annoying.

Try holding a pillow over your tummy if it is uncomfortable.

Rides4me
on 1/3/11 11:38 am - Atlanta, GA
LaShelle,
I totally agree that a patient should have all their answers about vitamins, protein, etc given from their surgeon and NUT prior to the cutting table.  I just want to say that I did go through a surgeon and a hospital which is a Center of Excellence and I received all this information and then some. I continue to get guidance, lessons and next steps from them.   What I have gotten from the OH experts is the everyday life style questions and the on going support which is only enhanced my WLS experience.  I absolutely love OH and people like you.  So, I don't know specifically who or what institution you were referring to that has caused your frustration (and I get it because I see the questions), but I just wanted to share that my experience with a COE has been nothing but positive thus far. 

SW 301/CW 205/GW 150 
gallbladder removal and hernia repair 6/3/2011
LaShelle2
on 1/3/11 11:58 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Your COE is not the one I was referring to :-)

I also had my wls at a COE.  But, all COE are not created equally.  The one I am referring too is downtown Atl. It is in an old dilapidated facility. 

The surgeons there have mixed reviews. One of the surgeons in the practice recently lost a wls patient  after years of complications.

People are really sensitive about their surgeons, and we all have limitiations such as insurance coverage, etc. Still, we need to go into this with the blinders off and face the truth about out surgeon when it is presented to us. 

You don't have to dig much to get the truth about a lot of these hospitals. A quick google search for your surgeon's name and keywords, malpractice, complaints, medical review board, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, patient death, are a good start.

My point in the protein post is COE or not, your surgeon should make sure you know how to take care of yourself before you  have surgery.

When multiple people from the same practice come on OH and PM me asking what to do post op, it is apparent that particular bariatric program is doing them a disservice.  It is just impossible for one practice to have that many clueless patients unless it is the surgeon's error.

You should not be resorting to asking strangers on the internet how to care for yourself.

I had an awesome experience with Dr. Hugh Houston at Centennial in Nashville TN! I would reccomend my mom or best fiend if they needed wls.  I had a worry free, drama free, complication free experience.

Dr. H. DRILLED me about everything and anythiing DS before he would even accept me as a patient.  I had to actually diagram what the procedure looked like and explain to him how it would work.  I thought he was insane at first, but looking back I am most grateful he was so thorough.
LaShelle2
on 1/3/11 12:06 pm, edited 1/3/11 12:06 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Another thing people should know, is just because a company has an ad banner on OH, does not make them the best product or surgeon out there.

OH is a business.  OH is a blessing to all of us. I could not have made with through my DS without it. But OH has to make money to stay alive. The ads are on here because the companies pay for ad space in hopes to make money not necessarily because they are the best thing for you.

A prime example is a protein bullet ad on the lower right of the screen today.

An uneducated newbie would assume if it's on a bariatric website like OH, it must be what we need.

It is for Collagen Protein. The WORST quality protein out there.

Most Active