Almost 3 weeks out and I hate food

nanuga8
on 12/20/10 6:54 am - FL
Ok so I had my surgery on 12-2 and everything I eat and drink hurts.  The Dr. told me to cut portions in 1/2.  It hurts before I eat.  I am having a hard time getting in protein and liquids........help!!!!!
Nancy Lifsey    
Paul C.
on 12/21/10 2:27 am - Cumming, GA
Eating will be difficult for a few weeks.  As hard as it may be to eat I recommend you still strive to hit the amounts listed in Dr. Macik's protocol, if not things may get more difficult down the road.  If you aren't already I suggest getting a baby spoon and fork to eat with.  Very early out I would have a hard time with the size of a bite if I wasn't using a baby spoon.  I would also seperate my portions into 6 groups and each group would require 5 minutes which I timed. 

The key is to get used to eating and not fear it.  I am 5 months out and eat about 1/2 what I should because I disassociated myself from food and have developed an aversion to eating. 

Just remember things will get better.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
LaShelle2
on 12/22/10 12:21 am, edited 12/22/10 12:22 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Nancy,

Sorry you're having a hard time. I was a slow healer too, so I know how you feel.

What exactly do you mean by "hurt"?   Is it a sharp pain or just discomfort going down?   Is it your tummy or throat, or lower tummy?

I found warm foods were easier to tolerate than cold. 

Also, even if you are not getting the purees in, do try to get in the 64 oz liquid!!!  I can not stress how critical it is to do this, so you do not become dehydrated. Also, get as much protein as possible even if it's from shakes and not real food.

As your tummy heals, it will become easier.

If you do not see improvement,  or if the pain is sharp even when you are not eating, go back to Dr. M and ask for an x-ray. 

Sometimes our bodies tell us when something is not right.  We are confused because we never ad a rny, so you're thinking "well maybe it's supposed to feel like this"

If your gut instinct tells you this is a complication and not normal, be persistent and ask for more tests.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Bear999
on 12/25/10 4:30 pm - Atlanta, GA
I am scheduled for DS on Jan. 4th 2011. What is a good protein shake to buy?  Will you be my friend?  Thanks!

LaShelle2
on 12/22/10 12:36 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
         here's my trick for getting in 64 oz of liquids

Every morning line up 8 little 8oz cups on the counter.

Each time you fill and drink one tra****

Don't go to be til you get them all down!

This is so much less intimidating than trying to get a big gulp down over the course of the day.

Just looking at a big container of water and thinking "how am I gonna get all this down today" is intimidating when even sipping a small amount is a challenge.

Those little cups are actually an achievable goal within an hour or so.

You will feel proud of yourself every time you walk by and see less cups there to get down!

You can even get the Styrofoam ones and write motivational quotes to yourself. Plus, they are affordable and keep things warm.

The cups also help you keep track of how much you are drinking per day.  If you drink while you are away from home, just take away an equivalent number of cups form the counter.

If you try this, let me know how it works.

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

LynetteT
on 12/24/10 11:20 am - Gwinnett County, GA
i love the cup idea Lashelle.  I will have to remember that tip.
LaShelle2
on 12/25/10 12:24 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Thanks Lynette. Just looking at a big sized cup just made me want to cry early out because it took FOREVER to get it down.   Like literally all day.
Bear999
on 12/25/10 4:31 pm - Atlanta, GA
Going to try that one as well.  What muti-vitamin and protein shake do you recommend?

LaShelle2
on 12/27/10 9:42 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hey Bear,

I ddin't know Dr. Burrowes was doing DS now???  If so, that's great news because I believe he accepts Medicaid and SHBP insurance.  Is he doing it laproscopic or open?  How many DS has he done?

They should have given you a pre- and post-op diet.  If not,  ask for one.

Immediately post op you will be on clear liquids for about a week.  Most of us use Unjury mixed with jello, Crystal Light, or broth.  You can also use isopure or the clear Nectar flavors.

"clear" means light should be able to shine through it, so the  creamy ones like chocholate, vanilla, strawberry, etc are NOT ok.

As for vitamins, you will be fine with bariatric advantage chewables for the 1st month or so,   After that follow vitalady's regime.   Do not stress about vitamins early out, just make sure you get in liquids and protein.   Believe me, you will be doing good just to get in your water and shakes!

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

nanuga8
on 12/29/10 8:56 am - FL
Thank you all for the responses.  I will try them all because I think it is the hiatal hernia that is really bothering me (which never bothered me before)....go figure.  I am working on it as hard as possible because I want this to work.  I pushed myself entirely too much lately too.  With all of my shopping and cleaning I have really made myself sore and I want to go the gym so bad but I know I can't. 

I am going to be better getting on here and updating everything.  I still can't do a picture because it always says fille too big.  I have tried from 2 different computers.  Any ideas????
Nancy Lifsey    
Most Active