I have a 3 year old. Now what???

LaShelle2
on 11/22/10 12:34 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I have my 3 year old nephew this week.  What am I supposed to do with him?

What fun toddler friendly museums or activities can you guys reccomend?

I don't get to see him much, so I'd like to do something fun besides sit around and watch cartoons all day.

brenda549
on 11/22/10 12:42 am, edited 11/22/10 12:44 am - Duluth, GA
Things I do with my 3 year old are:

Monkey Joe's - his personal favorite
Wild Animal Safari
Duluth Railway Museum
A movie - Megamind seems to be a big hit with the kids
The Festival - This is what he calls the arcade in the front of Super WalMart.  He doesn't even care that no money has been placed in the machine.  He just pretends. 
A local park - I am not sure about your area, but Gwinnett has tons of beautiful, well-kept playgrounds. 

or if you can find one of those pop up fairs, they love that (so do I now that I can fit into the rides again)! 

I hope this helps!

And don't forget about Zoo Atlanta and the Aquarium!
Oh, and the local libraries sometimes have story times and art projects for the little ones. 

HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

LaShelle2
on 11/22/10 6:45 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
What is Monkey Joes? Sounds noisy???
MzTiff
on 11/22/10 1:00 am, edited 11/22/10 1:05 am - Lithonia, GA
I have TWO three year olds, so I guess I can add my 2 cents.

1. Since it is the holidays, try th Pink Pig at Lenox. It is a kiddie ride on train tracks at Lenox Mall. The kids and I always go Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. The kids always love it.
2. Imagine It Childrens Museum is WONDERFUL. I usually go on the invite of a birthday party (the divas in training do the b-day party circuit 1-2 times per month), but it is VERY interactive, colorful and educational. It has always been a hit.
3. There is a NEW panda at ZOO Atlanta. We were there last Saturday, and could not see him, but the hype had my kids running to one of our family staples (we have a year family pass).
4. The good old fashioned PARK. It's free... they have a slide..... lots of places to get rid of energy........ (nothing more needs to be said).
5. Some may not agree--- but you can never go wrong with Chuckie Cheese, Monkey Joes, or any other "jumpie" place. If he has a "great" time, he will sleep like a log---- hence peace at home.

There are a number of places downtown, but please keep in mind that the attention span of a three year old is not very long, which is why I did not suggest maybe the Aquarium or Puppetry Arts..... which we have also visited several times, (but I hate to pay big bucks to get in, and they are ready to go in 10 mins:)

Also, it sounds cliche, but my bunch is perfectly happy with the play area at McDonalds--- Most times, they don't even want the Happy Meal--- as that takes too long to eat, so I buy apple slices or fries----- AND LET TEHM HAVE AT IT.

Call me if you wanna get together to do the Pink Pig.

HW-  255       SW- 239     GW-150      CW- 143 (uh!!!! 4 more lbs needed for 100) 
Fascinated One
on 11/22/10 2:13 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey Tiff, Just had to say we were at the zoo last Saturday, too! I took my grown butt 21 year old son and 13 yo nephew. We went because I won 4 tix at work, but we ended up having a lot fun. Too bad we didn't run into you guys.
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
LaShelle2
on 11/22/10 6:27 am, edited 11/22/10 6:27 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I think we may try the Imagine It Museum.  Any tips on how to get a discount?  Seems unfair that grown ups have to pay the same price as the kids. Just my opinion...

Also the Noah's Ark animal rehabilitation ranch FREE  will let you know if it is worth a drive, It is in Locust Grove past the Tanger Outlet Mall, so not so far for me.

I checked on Center for Puppetry Arta Already. Not only are the tickets $16.50, but sold out :-(

We've done the Zoo and St Mtn on prev visits.  Not sure if the Aquarium is worth the admission for a 3 yr old. He would be just as happy looking at the fish at PetSmart.

How do moms with big families afford to entertain them? This stuff ain't cheap!

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

MARIA F.
on 11/22/10 10:25 am - Athens, GA
American Adventures in Marietta..........definatly! It's like 6 Flags for little kids (but cheaper!). N if they don't have a Chuck E. Cheese where he is then do that too, or Monkey Joe's.
nilesmama08
on 11/22/10 10:47 pm, edited 11/22/10 10:47 pm - Atlanta , GA

Hello LaShelle,

I have to add my two cents since I have a busy two year old.  We went to Monkey Joe's last weekend for a bday party.  My daughter had a blast! She jumped herself into a 2 1/2 hour nap, lol.  There is a Monkey Joe's in Fayetteville on hwy 85. Henry county has awesome parks that are free. There is one in Mcdonough that is great. It is on North Mt. Carmel road in the soccer complex.

The Christmas festival is at Stone Mountain park. We had a great time Saturday. There are so many activities to do. We were there all day until fireworks at night. It is a bit expensive at $27 for an all day pass but it was worth it to me. My family plans to go each year.  Have fun auntie!!!

Stephanie

LaShelle2
on 11/23/10 12:22 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Thanks Stephanie. I may do Monkey Joe's and the dollar movie in Fayetteville tomorrow. I decided on the Imagine it Atl Children's museum today,  I found a coupon in one of those mailers.

BTW are you coming to the Christmas party at Erica's?  We can ride together if you want since we live close by.
walterswife
on 11/23/10 1:58 am
I like the Yellow River Game Ranch in Gwinnett.

How about the Aquarium?

You have gotten many other great suggestions.  Have fun.

I will have to pick up my granddaughter so we can do the Pink Pig.  

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active