A major roadblock ALREADY!!

acpme42
on 10/21/10 1:08 am
Well, I knew that the process of being approved for WLS was going to be long and arduous, but did not anticipate difficulty so early on. 

I went to my OB this AM to have some tests run and asked her to write my Letter of Medical Necessity that is required by Aetna for WLS.  She gave me a flat out "no."  She said she was not comfortable writing it, and that the only letter she's ever wrtitten for WLS for a patient was for a patient who was diabetic, had infertility issues, high BP and was a lot bigger than me!! 

The only reason I asked her to write the letter is because I know darn well my regular GP will not write it either.  He is a very old fashioned type who thinks that I can do this on my own with diet and exercise.

Do you think I should make an appt. to go in and talk to him face to face?  I really just feel like leaving a msg at his office asking him to write the letter, but don't think that will be very effective!

Any thoughts are truly appreciated.

BTW- I have a BMI of 41 with high cholesterol, back pain and had to have my gallbladder reomoved last December- definitely fit the profile of someone who's severly overweight!

Thanks everyone!
lerkhart
on 10/21/10 2:21 am
I'm sorry this happened to you.  I would schedule an appointment with my GP and talk with about this. 
My OB/GYN was very supportive of my WLS and we had talked about it for several years before I finally did it.
I'm sure with a BMI of 41 and your other health issues you can find someone to write the letter.
If my GP would not do it, I would seriously consider changing doctors if that is an option that is open to you.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
LaShelle2
on 10/21/10 4:16 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
If they are not willing to work with you, just get another pcp. 

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

MARIA F.
on 10/21/10 12:43 pm - Athens, GA
I think it is time for a new OB n a new GP! U are the patient and if they are unwilling to do what they need to do to help their patient then spend your money elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
acpme42
on 10/21/10 9:02 pm
Thank you for all your replies!  I am discouraged, but really want this so will have to do the footwork necessary.  I am going to make an appt. with my GP, but in my gut, do not think he will write the letter.  If he does not agree to.....on to "doctor shopping."  

Sad that a grown woman has to do this for a surgery (by my insurance standards) that I clearly qualify for. 

Dr. Macik did say that if my GP refuses to write the letter that he would have a talk with him.  Battle of the doctors....that should be interesting!

Will keep you posted...
walterswife
on 10/22/10 8:26 am
I agree with the others.  Sounds to me like it's time for you to dump the docs and start from scratch.  The ob/gyn is clueless and the PCP probably won't be any more helpful.  However, I would at least give him the opportunity before you scratch him off your list.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Paul C.
on 10/25/10 6:38 am - Cumming, GA
Regardless of whether your GP decides to write the letter after talking to you and Dr. Macik I would look in to changing to a new GP.  If they are so set on that WLS isn't right for someone with a BMI of 41 then I doubt they will be of little support after surgery when a something happens that may be a result of WLS.

Remember people do have problems after WLS and for most of us with them the Increase in life quality outweighs the issues we face, but be aware that you may need the support of your PCP at some point and if they are unwilling to consider it now do you really want them in an "I told you so" mindset if you need them?

I don't think my PCP was keen on me but I ended up proving to him I had done all my research knew the risks.  When I had an issue I went in and saw him and said I believe I have X because of X, Y and Z.  Now he is amazed at my progress and supports my decisions regarding care and such.

It was me who told him that I believed I know longer needed to take all the meds I was to treat my comorbidities, and after looking at all the numbers he agreed.

Depending where you live and where you need your PCP to be located I can give you the name of mine if you shoot me a message.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active