Let's try this again!

acpme42
on 10/18/10 10:04 am
Hello again,
Sorry about the confusion with my last post on number of VSGs done by my surgeon- I wanted my surgeon's name to remain annonymous, so when I saw that he was in my profile (duh!), I deleted my post.  Then, after perusing the site, I see that you all use dr.'s names freely, so I guess it's common to do! 

Let me introduce myself.   I am Belinda, age 42, and have just begun the journey to weight loss surgery.

I have three children, ages 5, 3 and 2, and want to have this surgery to give them a better life- I want to be able to keep up with them without getting out of breath, and stop being SO TIRED ALLTHE TIME!!!  Sorry for the all caps, but I really am suffering so with constant fatigue.  I am grumpy a lot of the time and feel so bad for my kiddos.  I also don't want to pass on this dreaded situation to them.  I've been overweight since about the age 12....

I grew up in an overweight family.  My dad passed away a year ago at age 70 from complcations that come from being obese.  I urged him for years to try bariatric surgery, but he was always so scared of it and thought it would kill him.   In the end, it probably would've given him a few extra years with his grandkids....his mother, my grandmother just turned 100 on Oct. 1st.  Sad.

My original post talked about how Dr. Macik had told me he had performed 150 VSGs, but his website showed just 20.  That really concerned me, and I was not sure how to proceed.  I'm sure one possibility is that the site is just not up to date.  I have done lots of reading on him, and he comes with very high marks.

Anyways, I just booked my first nutritionist appt. today, and will book the psychologist tommorrow.

I look forward to getting to know you all!
LynetteT
on 10/18/10 11:13 am - Gwinnett County, GA
Hi Belinda,
Welcome Aboard!
curiouscat7
on 10/18/10 12:16 pm
And yes your surgeon has high marks... I would use him if it was his second VSG... which Im sure its not...its what he told you since I know and trust him....

Good luck to you ..... and if you have any doubts feel free to  talk with tiffany in his office or his nurse who was his patient too....

CC

I"m 18months out with RNY and very happy !
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
M U.
on 10/18/10 12:54 pm
Welcome. I also highly recommend Dr. Macik. He did a truly stellar job on me. My surgery and recovery were extremely uneventful and I had a pretty high BMI. I'm really pleased nearly 11 months and 116 lbs. later.
MzTiff
on 10/19/10 12:10 am, edited 10/19/10 12:12 am - Lithonia, GA
Hey Belinda,

Welcome to the GA board!!!!

Had VSG 8 weeks ago, and I am pleased. Macik is a good surgeon. I went to his seminar TWICE, and pondered long and hard on choosing between him, and the surgeon I chose. I have NOTHING negative to say about him. I am sure that his info has probably not been updated yet, as I know 5-6 people who have been sleeved from him since this summer alone.

Our stories sound very similar. I also have young children, and see a dramatic difference in what I am able to do with them---- even now (this soon out)..... Yesterday, my entire family went to the park where I walk so they could play while I "get my exercise on". They were on the slide with my 13 year old daughter, and I surprised them by running to top, placing them in my lap (3 year old twins) and sliding down really fast after my son pushed us. They got a HUGH kick out of it-----as that is not what "mommy" usually does... (my oldest daughter actually took video on her cell phone and streamed it out to family and friends.....:)...... We all were screaming and giggling like CRAZY people. The look on their faces was PRICELESS.

The VSG is a good surgery, and although I don't know your stats or situation, I am sure you will be pleased. I am down 38 lbs as of yesterday and I will be two months tommarrow, and I am a SLOW LOSER!!!! So please don't let my low numbers discourage you:):):)

Let us know if you have any other questions!!!

Tiff

HW-  255       SW- 239     GW-150      CW- 143 (uh!!!! 4 more lbs needed for 100) 
lerkhart
on 10/19/10 2:24 am
Hi Belinda,
Welcome to the Georgia Boards.  I have not read anything bad about Dr. Macik.  I went to him for my first consultation, but found a great doctor closer to my parents which made it much more convenient for us.

I can tell you that I have lots more energy to play with my grandkids now and can get down and up off the floor a lot easier than before WLS.

Good luck.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Paul C.
on 10/19/10 3:29 am - Cumming, GA
I would guess that the stats are out of synch.  Macik is a wonderful surgeon and his office staff are great. 
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Kenwillmore
on 10/19/10 11:38 pm

Dr. Macik performed my sleeve in May and at that time he had performed over a 100.  Now that more insurance companies are paying for the surgery I am sure the number will increase.  My requirements were his skill as a surgeon and he received not but high marks when I was doing my research. 

HW: 258 SW: 248 GW: 150  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/
michelle202
on 10/20/10 1:51 pm - GA
I have never heard a bad thing about  your surgeon.

I was sleeved 8/4/10 and am down 50+lbs since then. Love my sleeve.

I am also the mom of 4 young children, ages 8-3 and they were my reason for pursuing weight loss surgery as well. I wanted to live a long life and be the best mom I could be. My weight weighed me down! I was constantly tired, anti social, embarassed, etc. NOW, I'm out and about and playing hard with my babies. Life is good.
micvsgmom.com

MARIA F.
on 10/20/10 5:24 pm - Athens, GA
I have heard he is an excellent surgeon. I didn't think he had been doing the VSG very long, but may just b that his profile isn't updated frequently. U might call the hospital he practices at and get a VSG count from them if u r concerned.
Most Active