Dr. Houston out of state surgery

walterswife
on 10/9/10 3:40 am
Martina,

I agree with you on the lap vs. open procedure.  Many people travel out of state (not just here in Georgia either) to get the DS elsewhere.  In general, I have not heard any complaints from people who have traveled for surgery.  If that is what you want to do, I am sure you can make it happen.  I understand that Dr. Houston is very accessible to his patients.

For me it wasn't an option.  traveling back and forth would have been problematic for me due to work responsibilities.  Also, something about me makes me want to have my surgeon closer to home rather than further away.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

MARTINA P.
on 10/9/10 9:51 am - ROCKMART, GA
Thanks for the input ladies.  I know I will be happy with surgery.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

LaShelle2
on 10/10/10 2:38 am, edited 10/10/10 2:46 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hey Martina,

I elected not to attend Dr. Houston's seminar, and he did not require it in my case. I believe some of his other patients her in GA did attend the seminar.

In my case, I had already attended seminars with 3 local DS surgeons and 2 non-DS surgeons, and I had done 2 years of extensive research on DS and wls in general.

I did all my pre-op testing in Charlotte NC with Dr. David Voelinger, and I already had Cigna's approval. So, I was essentially just switching surgeons at the last minute.

My understanding is you will be able to do all your pre-op testing here with the exception of pre-op lab work. You will also need to make a minimum of 2 visits to TN. 

1st visit will be your consult with Dr. Houston.  

2nd visit will be your pre-op visit which will consist of a class on aftercare, nutrition, etc. You will register at the hospital, meet with the anesthesia physician, make any final co-pays or make payment arrangements, etc.

I encourage you to make a visit to Centennial to familiarize yourself with the area on one of your visits. They will give you a quick informal walk through of the bariatric wing if you request it.  That way, you will at least have an idea of what the room you wake up in will look like, and your family will know where they can get snacks, etc.

Now, I know it may seem like a big inconvenience to go up there for the seminar, but the more you learn, the better DS'er you will be in the end.  You might also e-mail Pam to see if they have the capability to offer the seminar by web cam.

The following GA OH'ers had their DS with Dr.Houston. PM some of them if you'd like.  Also,  check out his surgeon's page on OH and you can PM others who may have traveled from states other than GA.

ME
Izzy
Curvy Barbie
Fascinated One
Clay Gunter
Sotto_Vocce

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

DeniseATL
on 10/18/10 12:29 am - Atlanta, GA

Good for you Martina!  I hope it all works out.  If you change your mind I just want you to know Dr. Chasen is totally and completely awesome. Looks like you are in good hands no matter what!  Good Luck!

Fascinated One
on 11/18/10 4:00 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey Martina,

I am very happy with Dr. Houston. The drive isn't too bad, I usually just make it into a day trip and stop at the outlet mall on I-75 and other stores and enjoy a nice meal. 

I attended two seminars here in Georgia and did all of my testing and the diet requirements at Emory, and that made me eligible to go through Dr. H's Fast Track program and skip his pre-op program all together. The only visit before surgery was a 45 minute consultation. I have gone back for a couple of follow-up visits and labs, but I think LaShelle has her labs done here, locally.

Good luck. I definitely recommend Dr. Houston.

Rolanda
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
LaShelle2
on 11/29/10 2:22 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hey, how is the pre-op process going. Have you made it up to Nashville yet?

Do you have any idea when your date will be?

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Most Active