Dr. Houston out of state surgery

MARTINA P.
on 10/8/10 4:47 am - ROCKMART, GA
I plan to have DS WLS beginning of next your and plan to use Dr.  Houston in Nashville TN which means it will be a out of state. I was wondering if people who use him for surgery had to attend his seminar before surgery. I also would like to know what his requirements were in order to have surgery. Please tell me what your experience was with having surgery out of state using Dr. Houston.  
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

walterswife
on 10/8/10 10:33 am
Martina,

I am certain that LaShelle and Rolanda will post a reply to your question.  They are both happy campers and think Dr. Houston "walks on water."

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

LaShelle2
on 10/10/10 2:15 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Celeste, I don't think he walks on water.

But, I do strongly believe he is pretty darn good at being a boat captain :-)

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Rides4me
on 10/8/10 10:34 am - Atlanta, GA
I am just wondering why you are choosing an out of state doc instead of staying local. Is it an insurance thing?  Emory Johns Creek has a special bariatric center and a certified center of excellence. My surgeon, Dr. William Johnson, talked about how he loved doing the DS but my insurance only paid for the RNY.  I just think it would be hard to go back and forth for all the follow ups.
Please don't take offense to my question, just asking.

SW 301/CW 205/GW 150 
gallbladder removal and hernia repair 6/3/2011
MARTINA P.
on 10/8/10 9:09 pm - ROCKMART, GA
Ride for life I did not take offense to question.  You was asking.  I believe if a person have a question or wonder they should ask.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

walterswife
on 10/9/10 1:55 am
Rides4me,

Is Dr. Johnson doing the DS now?  I didn't realize that.  Up until recently we patients were limited to Dr. Smith in Marietta and Dr. Maynard in Conyers who only does the open DS.  Recently Dr. Chasen in Augusta began doing the DS.  If Dr. Johnson is now doing the DS that would be great news for future DSers.

Rides4me
on 10/9/10 2:06 am - Atlanta, GA
You know what? You may be right. I may have mixed up the sleeve with the DS.
walterswife
on 10/9/10 3:35 am
Yes.  He does do the sleeve.  I understand he is a great surgeon.  I wish more doctors would do the DS just so patients who live in the Atlanta area would have more options.

LaShelle2
on 10/10/10 2:21 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
If Dr. Johnson is doing DS, then that's news to me and the DS community. We are all pretty good at keeping abreast of the surgeons throughout the country because there are so few. If you can confirm that he doe in fact offer the DS procedure and how many he has done, we would appreciate if you would pass along the information,

As to date the only confirmed DS surgeons in GA are Dr. Dennis Smith in Marietta, Dr. Donald Maynard in Conyers, and Dr. Aurthur Chasen in Augusta.   Dr. Hobson in Atlanta has done an experimental DS, but does not do them on a regular basis.

BTW, the reason so many of us DS'ers elect to travel out of state is twofold. Yes, the insurance requirements limit the surgeons we can use. But more importantly, when dealing with a procedure as complicated as DS, it's critical to get the best surgeon you have access to. Sometimes, that requires making concessions and travel ling out of the local area.

That's a decision I have yet to regret/

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

MARTINA P.
on 10/8/10 9:07 pm - ROCKMART, GA

Thanks guys.  And yes I have talked to Lashelle and she is very happy with her experience with out of state with Dr Houston however I wanted to hear from some others who used him and had surgery out of state.  I am using a surgeon out of state because my insurance cover very few Doctors that do DS.  TN is closer to me then to go to Augusta and I do not want to use a doctor that only do DS open because I see no reason to have open surgery when it can be done lap.

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

Most Active