Just starting this, anybody know good dieticians?

rtptjd
on 9/22/10 9:55 pm - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for your reply.  I do like dealing w/ straightforward folks, makes it so much easier to find out what I need to do!  I have an appointment with her next month.
LaShelle2
on 9/24/10 6:07 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I recommend you work in this order:

1. Meet with a minimum of 2-3 surgeons that do  the 4 major surgeries rny, DS, vsg, and band.  This is the only way you will get an honest educated medical recommendation of what is best for you. If a surgeon only does 1 surgery type, he is not gonna turn you away and send you to get something else down the street. Even if it is better for you, it will be bad for his wallet. 

2. Choose which surgery you want.

3. Choose a surgeon. They are not all the same.  Pull their medical board reports. Post on OH for opinions. Attend support meetings. Surf the web.

4 Ask surgeon for a recommendation for a nutritionist and psych, etc.

The reason why you want to do choose a nutritionist  last is that many wls surgeons have a preference of who they will want you to see. Many even have a nutritionist in their office (mine does). 

Others will only exclusively work with certain nutritionists and psychs they have an agreement with.  Often, they have a structured program they have developed as a team.

!!!!EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!

you'd be surprised how many of us started out wanting one thing and ended up with something totally different.

Me for example, at the beginning of this I swore  I was having a lap band.  Nobody was cutting up my stomach NO WAY!  So I went from the "least invasive" (which now after being educated IMO is actually the most invasive, but that's a different debate) to the MOST invasive DS (which now IMO is the least invasive and carefree).  

But now I'm cute and I'm happy :-).

So to sum it up research, and don't put the cart before the horse.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

rtptjd
on 10/4/10 8:39 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the advice!
Most Active