Just starting this, anybody know good dieticians?

rtptjd
on 9/21/10 2:54 am, edited 9/21/10 3:31 am - Atlanta, GA
Hello all, I am just getting started on this journey!  I have had one visit with a surgeon and am in the process of setting up a second opinion.  Of course, my insurance company's requirements must be met either way.  I'm trying to find a dietician in the Atlanta/Decatur area to meet with.  I've called my first doc's recommended providers but no one seems to want to return a phone call.  So, any suggestions?  Feel free to give me input on your surgeons, as well.  I have spoken with Dr. Paul Macik and like him, but I have an appointment to check out Emory too.  Thanks for any info you can give!
Paul C.
on 9/21/10 5:47 am - Cumming, GA
Dr. Macik is one of the Surgeons at Emory Johns Creek.  Any doctor or hospital that carries the, Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), rating is going to be a good surgeon or hospital.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
rtptjd
on 9/21/10 6:14 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for your  reply!  I liked Dr. Macik immediately when I met him.  I'm closer to Northside and would probably have surgery done at that facility rather than Johns Creek.  Right now I'm just trying to find a dietician to get that pre-requisite out of the way.  Thanks again.
aseg21
on 9/21/10 11:27 pm - Miami, FL
I personally didn't have a great experience at Northside. I've heard other people's Johns Creek experiences and wish I'd gone there instead... Either way, I'd say pick the best surgeon not let the facility be a factor.
LynetteT
on 9/21/10 11:36 am - Gwinnett County, GA
www.rachelrd.com

Use the website above to check out Rachel Brandeis.  I am a preop patient of Dr Macik's and am seeing her for the nutrionist requirment.  Her office is near Perimeter mall.  She is also on staff with Dr's Hart and Johnson out of Johns Creek.  She has a lot of experience preparing bariatric patients for their new journey.

Hope this helps.
rtptjd
on 9/22/10 12:18 am - Atlanta, GA
Definitely!  Thanks for the suggestion, I will give her a call. 
curiouscat7
on 9/22/10 1:21 am
Im post op Dr Macik.... first, good choice of surgeons... can't say enough good things about him... and I'm a size 6... need i say more

RE: Rachel... she's ok but I would only use her for your ins requirements only. her  food plan is a lot different than Maciks....His is a lot more strict... but you will thank him later... like 14 months plus out when your at goal and others are already regaining...:)

CC
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
rtptjd
on 9/22/10 9:54 pm - Atlanta, GA
Thank you for your suggestions.  I think I will end up going with Dr. Macik.  I do have a good "gut feeling" from him (no pun intended) and the $600 program fee at Emory seems a bit steep to me.  I don't think Dr. Macik charges a program fee at all.  I have an appt w/ Rachel and we'll see how it goes.  Thanks again!
brenda549
on 9/24/10 11:02 am - Duluth, GA
When I saw Dr. Macik last year for surgery, I had to pay a $250 filing and paper work fee.  He does have a "fee" but not like others I have heard about. 
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

Rides4me
on 9/22/10 4:37 am - Atlanta, GA
Rachel is who I see at my Dr. Johnson and Hart's office.  She is good and she does not beat around the bush.  She is very straight forward.  I vote is her.

SW 301/CW 205/GW 150 
gallbladder removal and hernia repair 6/3/2011
Most Active