Going on a cruise

CColeman
on 9/12/10 11:43 am
Hubby and I are going on our first cruise to the Bahamas. At 10 months out from surgery, does anyone have any suggestions about how to handle protein and such?

Rides4me
on 9/12/10 12:50 pm - Atlanta, GA
My surgery is tomorrow and we have a 5 day cruise scheduled for December. I will be my mix, but the chefs can cook to please.

SW 301/CW 205/GW 150 
gallbladder removal and hernia repair 6/3/2011
walterswife
on 9/13/10 12:34 pm
I went on a cruise in early April when I was a little over 3 months out.  I stopped at the store on the way to the port and got cottage cheese (which I never used), and also got things like applesauce (and other snack stuff which I can't remember now).  I didn't like shakes back then so I didn't bring any but I brought some Unjury chicken soup just in case I got in a jam--never used it.  I wanted to take some Greek Yogurt but we left on Easter Sunday and Publix was closed. 

I usually ate an omlet for breakfast.  We usually go to the dining room for lunch but had our grandson with us so we ate in the buffet for breakfast and lunch.  They always had chicken, beef, pork, various vegetables, a variety of salads and dressings.  I had no problem. All I could think about was how did I ever eat that much food?   I did fine with the dinner menus in the dining room.  Of course, the days of the 5 course meals were over.  I usually had a small salad and either fish or beef (I couldn't eat chicken back then), and a small amount of veggies.

You shouldn't have any problems.  There is enough variety to find things that you like and can eat.  Hope this helps

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

LaShelle2
on 9/14/10 6:36 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
There will be TONS of all sorts of food 24 hours a day for you to choose from with plenty of variety.   You will worry about eating too much  rather than not having enough to choose from :-)

Most ports have plenty of places to eat. They are used to tourists.  I do pack some ziploc bags and make a couple of ham and cheese sandwiches to carry off the ship with me when I'm in port to make sure I have some protein available.  Also saves money.

If you tell me which ship, I will try to get a copy of the menu for the main dining room for you under the condition you agree to sneak me in your luggage. 
CColeman
on 9/17/10 1:09 pm
Thanks everyone. Leaving tomorrow! Excited!

Most Active