RNY vs Switch

GA_Peach
on 9/7/10 11:47 am - Dallas, GA
Hello everyone!  I am a newbie to the whole process.  I just have been accepted to the Dr's program and had my first consult on Friday (9/3) and have my list of evaluations needed that i have started scheduling.  I was orignally interested in the sleeve, but as i dig into my medical policy it looks like they consider the sleeve (as a single procedure) is still considered experimental.

I would love some feedback regarding the RNY vs the Switch to know which way was preferred and why. 

Look forward to hearing from everyone!  : )
Paul C.
on 9/8/10 3:54 am - Cumming, GA
Before you really get into which people prefer I would suggest you really research what each procedure is and what the pros and cons are.  You will come to learn that on here (mainly the WLS General board) people are very steadfast in their opinions and which procedure is best, as opposed to best for an individual.  Do your research on sites that are independent of a specific procedure such as wiki for a start, as some sites do nothing but talk about the good things.

We each have our reasons for why we chose what we did, whether it be insurance, best results, or lack of knowledge.  Base your decisions on everything you learn and what you need/want out of it. 

Your doctor can help guide you to what is the best for your case.  Attend support meetings in your area and talk to people face to face, my experience is that meeting people face to face you get a better feel for why people have really made the choice they did along with how effective it is. 

Remember both the RNY and DS have a malabsorbtion factor with one being more extreme.  One you get the added bonus of dumping if you stray to far into the bad foods (I think of it as aversion therapy).

Once you have an independent idea of what each does then you will be in a better place to listen and gauge what people say.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
walterswife
on 9/9/10 10:48 pm
I agree with Paul.  The surgery that is best for someone else may not be the best for you.  Since your doctor performs both the DS and the RNY, you will have the best of both worlds.

The DS is a great procedure.  VSG was considered experimental by my insurance company.  However, my insurance would have paid for DS or RNY.  I opted for RNY for several reasons.  The main one was the fact that at my age (59), I felt that the DS was a little too much "surgery" for me.  When I considered a one-hour surgery versus a four-hour surgery, t was a no-brainer for me.  Had I been younger, I would probably have gone with the DS.

Thus far I have been happy with my choice.  I reached goal weight in less than 8 months and am now 5 lbs under goal.  I feel great and am healthier than ever. 

Hopefully LaShelle will see your post and respond since she is a very satisfied switch sister.  Just do your own research, talk to you doctor and make the decision that is best for you.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

MARTINA P.
on 9/13/10 11:01 am - ROCKMART, GA

Ga peach I want to say hello I do not see many people on board from my neck of the woods.  I work in Dallas and want to use Dr. Smith for my DS if my insurance will cover him.  I was wondering who your insurance company is and also wondering if you would like to meet one day for lunch or dinner.  Congrads I plan on following you.

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

GA_Peach
on 9/14/10 11:45 pm - Dallas, GA
Hi Martina,

I have Blue Cross (my company is based out of Philadelphia).  I am very blessed to have wonderful insurance!  :)

Is your DS already scheduled?
MARTINA P.
on 9/15/10 12:17 pm - ROCKMART, GA

I have to wait till open enrollment

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

sassyjonz
on 9/13/10 2:55 pm - Atlanta, GA
GA Peach, the above posters are quite correct.  Do your homework and use several sources. 

When I was doing my research, I not only read several of the boards on OH, I did extensive search engine searchs on WLS search terms.  I also found YouTube especially helpful because it is great to be able to see and hear people talk about their WLS journey and experiences. 

I went from Lap Band to VSG befor settling on DS and that was all a result of my own research and carefully reading and listening to people's experiences and lifestyles on the various post-op diets.

It comes down to how you want to live your life post-op, how you eat and want to eat.  You have to be honest with yourself and examine that part of yourself.  The DS is definitely NOT for everyone but it IS AWESOME.

I personally did not want to diet ever again.  I eat a moderately high fat, low carb menu.  I don't count calories but I'd guess I eat about 2800 calories and I am careful about my sugar intake.  Do I eat sweets now and then? Heck yeah, but the difference is that I eat very small amounts and I don't have to feel bad or guilty about it.  My relationship with food now is about choices and taking responsibility for them.

I am 80lbs down with about 25lbs to go, healthier than I have been in 25 years, I work out 3-4 days a week...something I did before surgery but it's much easier now and I actually get results now too.

So spend some time, do your research, read the boards...all of them, look at some YouTube videos (there are some good ones on my YouTube channel if you are really interested...all surgery types except the band) think about yourself and how you want to live post op and most importantly, cut through the BULL.  You'll hear a lot of people saying a lot of things but you need to pare down to the facts from medical journal articles, your surgeon and veterans who are living with whatever surgery type.

You have a great surgeon who is a wealth of information.  I even watched the YouTube videos on his DS procedure.  Yeah...there is THAT MUCH info out there.  You just have to go get it.

Much luck to you on your decision.

Lia

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

GA_Peach
on 9/14/10 11:43 pm - Dallas, GA
Thank you Walterswife and sassyjonz, your opinion is what i was seeking.  I have been doing quite a bit of extensive research so i am familar with all the different aspects of the different procedures, but i just wanted to hear about other's choices 
Most Active