HELENA/CLEVELAND AREA

AndreaH09
on 9/10/10 9:38 am
Denise -
Linda is right, the river gets low sometimes when we haven't had rain. It is a little low right now.

Just so you know, Hiawassee IS only about 30 miles away, but it is on the other side of a mountain. The road between Helen and Hiawassee is very curvy. If you are planning on doing some excursions anyway (North Carolina, etc), then that may not bother you. Just wanted to mention it.

Andrea
HW 251/SW 239/CW 183/GW 150  height= 5'5"

wallysdee
on 9/12/10 11:25 pm - Lumberton, MS

I can NOT thank you guys enough for all the great information.  hoping we can find something and get settled on EXACTLY how many people are going.  I would like this reservation in place no later than first of the year earlier is possible.  lol lol 
Thanks

kaytiebugs
on 9/16/10 10:05 pm, edited 9/16/10 10:12 pm - Flowery Branch, GA
Unicoi State Park has some nice trails and stuff along with a ton of other fun activities. They also have a lodge. I'm not familiar with their accomodations but it's a really pretty building and the restaurant in there has good food. The park has a lake (not sure how big or what lake it is, but I think it's pretty big)...so I'm sure they have the usual activities there like paddle boating, fishing, etc. They also have at least one beach that I know of. It's kinda small. You should definitely check out what all Unicoi State Park has to offer as it's huge and really pretty.

There's Anna Ruby Falls. You hike to the waterfall. I think it's just shy of a mile to get there. I can't remember exactly but I think the trail is partially paved (or it's at least clearly cut and well maintained).

I don't think there's any white water rafting, only tubing.

There's a small waterpark and helicopter tours (which the locals HATE due to the noise, can't say I blame them, people live in the mountains for peace and quiet).

If you cross the mountain into Hiawassee, there's Lake Chatuge and the Georgia Mountains fair grounds which always has something going on.

There's a really awesome candy shop in Helen. My DD loves going there and watching them make candy, fudge, chocolates, etc.

My favorite place to stay in Helen is the Hampton Inn. It's, IMO, the best hotel there.

My mom has lived in Hiawassee for several years so needless to say we've done all the touristy things in the area.

I don't regular this forum so if you've got any questions for me, shoot me a message and I'll be glad to help.
wallysdee
on 9/16/10 11:16 pm - Lumberton, MS
THANKS KATYBUGS YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN A GREAT HELP BUT WILL EMAIL WITH ANY OTHER QUESTIONS! I APPRECIATE IT!
DENISE
Most Active