HELENA/CLEVELAND AREA

wallysdee
on 9/6/10 10:07 pm - Lumberton, MS
We are planning a family trip to this area June of next year.  Now by family trip I mean there will be six families.  Hubby has a HUGE family.  lol lol  I know for sure we want to do the Cabbage Patch Hospital, pottery place, blown glass place, German town and possible some white water rafting.  Can ya'll give some other suggestions.  We like hiking although not the horribly long ones.  lol lol  We will have several small children with us.  Also love to do caves/caverns if there might be any in the area.  Also we are looking for lodging.  Would love a place with 6 bedrooms but would not like to pay $5000 for a week.  lol lol  We have found a couple of place we are interested in checking in to but thought I would come here and see if anyone had any suggestions they might like to through out.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.   

Denise
AndreaH09
on 9/8/10 11:01 am
I live in Cleveland, GA. Your family would probably love to hike to Anna Ruby falls. It is a relatively easy hike and not too long. Once you get to the falls, there is a deck with a gorgeous view of the falls. Also, look up Unicoi State park on the internet and see if anything there interests you.

There is a water park in Helen that the kids might enjoy. They have an all day pass that includes the water park and tubing down the Chattahoochee river. I'm not sure what their hours are since it is after Labor Day and school is back in session around here.

I don't have any suggestions on lodging.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

HW 251/SW 239/CW 183/GW 150  height= 5'5"

wallysdee
on 9/10/10 2:33 am - Lumberton, MS
thank you so much for your response I will most definetly get information on your suggestions.  Just from my looking on the internet you live in a BEAUTIFUL area! I expect us to have TONS of fun.
Denise
lerkhart
on 9/10/10 5:09 am
Hi Denise,
We are going to Helen next weekend.  If there is a place you are interested in staying that you want us to check out for you, just PM me with the name and address and we will be glad to ride by it and look at it for you.  Sometimes the pictures can be deceiving!!

We stayed at the Unicoi State Park last time we went and rented several of the barrell cabins.  They are in groups and it was my entire family.  We had 4-5 in a cabin and had a really good time.  We love doing the tubing, but last time the water was so low you had to walk alot.  We are hoping it won't be too cold next weekend.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
wallysdee
on 9/10/10 5:18 am - Lumberton, MS
I will for sure have to check out the state park cabins.  I have checked out so much that I am just about "checked out " lol lol  We are looking at a place online right now in Hiawassee I think it is about 30 miles or so from that area.  So that would be out of your way to check out but that is the sweetest thing ever for you to offer.  Just kinda looking at this point.  We have about 24 all together in our family and of course all of those prob will not go so I am looking for at least 6 bedrooms so I will for sure check those cabins out cause I personally would LOVE to know I was not in a house with 24 people.  hee hee
I know we want to do the cabage patch hospital i have a 3 year old girl who I know would LOVE that along with me.  hee hee I know we want to go to this pottery museum in Helen and maybe some wineries and the blown glass place and then everything else kinda up in the air.  Maybe travel to NC one day and then do some hiking and tubing would be great.  Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing ALL about your vaca when ya'll get back. Be careful and have a WONDERFUL time!
Denise 
lerkhart
on 9/10/10 5:29 am
You do have to walk down some steps to most of the cabins if that would be a problem for anyone in your group.  We liked that we could stay in separate cabins and get away from each other if we needed too!!  I know what you mean.  It has been a couple of years since we stayed there, but I would think they would keep them up.  The bedrooms are upstairs and the bath is downstairs so you do have to go up and down stairs in these cabins, but they have different types of cabins I think.

If you see anything you want me to look at before next weekend, just let me know.  I'm not sure where Hiawassee is from Helen I've been through there.  If you want to send me the info if we get up that way I'll ride by it.  I'm not sure what we will be doing Friday afternoon when we get there.

I've looked and looked at places and reached the point of just pick a place and make a reservation.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
wallysdee
on 9/10/10 6:00 am - Lumberton, MS
Linda,
I so hear you on just pick  a place already.  As long as my half isnt say over $250 I DONT CARE.  lol lol  I'm gonna see if I can get an add to this place and if you happen to be in that area fine if not that is fine to.  Cause the cabins you mentioned are looking better n better u know to have my own space! lol 
Thanks
Denise 
wallysdee
on 9/13/10 3:55 am - Lumberton, MS
Hey Linda thanks again for offering to check this pace out for me.  I called about it this weekend and looks like it isnt going to work out for us to stay there.  I mean weird the price was right and it was open that week but the lady  was sooooooooo rude to me.  Granted I did call her on a Sat morning around 9'ish but the site doesnt say you can't pluse this is a realtor not the owner.  I don't know she was so ugly to me that I just do not know that I want to bother.  Sure wish I could convey this to the owner of the house! lol lol  Oh well I checked the state park out that ya'll stayed at and although wonderful and great price they are booked well don;t have open what we would need for that week.  Going to check out some of the other state parks and see what I can find.  THANKS A BUNCH for all your help.  I hope ya'll have a safe fun filled trip!
Denise 
lerkhart
on 9/13/10 4:26 am
Sorry, it didn't work out.  Give me a shout if you see something else before this weekend.
Good luck with your search!!
Linda
kaytiebugs
on 9/16/10 10:10 pm - Flowery Branch, GA
Habersham Winery=AWESOME! And they pour samples generously. There's a huge antiques place (looks like an old house) right beside it and a grist mill with a working mill across the street.

Also, you might be interested in the stuff in Sautee, Ga. It's right beside Helen/Cleveland. It's a small villiage area and I want to say it's got a lot of Native American influence (haven't been in years, though so I don't remember).

Personally, I've never been to anything worth the drive in NC except the walmart before they built one closer to my moms house lol. There's probably some gem mining but other than that I haven't seen/heard of much going on in that part of NC.
Most Active