No Clue

AudraJennings
on 8/30/10 11:46 am - Canton, GA

Hi All,

I am new to the board and just beginning my journey with WLS.  I am trying to get real life experiences with recovery time after RNY (Lap) and LAP Band.  Basically, I am trying to start preparation for my employer and employees and am looking for a realistic look at how long it will be from point of surgery to going back to work.  FYI- my job is not physically strenuous at all.  The hardest part will be the 30 minute drive to and from.  Any advise or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Audra

Paul C.
on 8/30/10 12:19 pm - Cumming, GA

I had my RNY on a friday and took the following week off from work.  I am a software engineer and sit most of the day.  I would get up frequently to walk and just move around.  I had my wife drive me my first week back which is about 40 minutes with traffic, because I was still using pain meds at bed time.

I know with my job this is something I had spoken with my managers about following my first appointment.  I kept them notified on my progress through the process and we had a good transition of my duties leading up to my surgery.  THey were and continue to be understanding and supporitive of my progress.

What has you trying to decide between an RNY or Band?  have you met with Dr. Macik already?

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
AudraJennings
on 8/30/10 10:58 pm - Canton, GA
Hi Paul,

No, I meet with Dr Macik for the first time on 9/7.  Initially when I started thinking about WLS and talking to my PCP, we discussed the LAP Band.  I am open to hearing the recommendation of Dr. Macik and will definitely follow his recommendation, but just trying to get my arms around the options and the recoup time.  In my heart of hearts, I believe RNY will be the best option for me with the best long term effect.  I also believe it will be what Dr. Macik suggests.  So, with that, I am really looking at planning and organizing life prior to surgery, during my surgery, and post surgery.  I'm a bit OCD that way.  :-)

Thanks for the information, it was a great help.

Thanks!
Audra

walterswife
on 8/30/10 12:32 pm
Many people have the surgery and return to work the following week.  I think alot depends on your age and the type of job that you have.  I have a friend who is a teacher and she took 2 weeks off. 

I took about 5 weeks off--I could have returned sooner but for the fact that I often have to lift large files and rolling briefcases in and out of my car.  I knew that would be a problem if I returned too soon.  Sometimes I sit behind a desk but at other times I have to do a substantial amount of walking as well as sitting and standing throughout the day.  I just did not want to take any chances.

I also needed to get my eating and drinking on track before I went back.  Trying to do that during the work day would have been a big problem for me.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

AudraJennings
on 8/30/10 11:01 pm - Canton, GA
Thank you for the information.  That helps. While I do sit behind a desk, there are things I do that I did not think of (i.e. carrying the laptop and briefcase in and out each day). 

MARIA F.
on 8/30/10 1:05 pm - Athens, GA
Recovery time with Lap Band is very quick but I would NOT recommend that particular WLS!!!!!!!!!
AudraJennings
on 8/30/10 11:03 pm - Canton, GA
Hi Maria,

I am interested in hearing more about your response.  Can you further explain why you would not recommend Lap Band?  Still trying to decide what my preference is so any experience or feedback would be a huge help.

Thanks!
Audra

MARIA F.
on 8/31/10 12:21 pm - Athens, GA
On August 31, 2010 at 6:03 AM Pacific Time, AudraJennings wrote:
Hi Maria,

I am interested in hearing more about your response.  Can you further explain why you would not recommend Lap Band?  Still trying to decide what my preference is so any experience or feedback would be a huge help.

Thanks!
Audra
Hi Audra,

As far as the lap band I will say that there are some that have it and are thrilled with it. Some have lost LOTS of weight but it seems that those are few and far between.

I read on the lap band forum almost everyday..........sometimes 2 or 3 a day.........new ppl posting about their slip/port problem/leak/etc. It is clear that there is an extremely high incidence of POST-OP complications! Most seem to occur 1-3 yrs. out, allthough Ihave seen slips/esophageal dysmotility as early out as 4 wks. I see so many posting on the forum that they are having to have a 2nd surgery b/c of their slip.........errosion..........leak...........etc.

Also, something that most Drs. will not tell u PRE-OP is that some ppl NEVER reach a good restriction. They are either too loose or too tight! Never a happy medium.

I also see ppl posting on the forum that have had their bands 2 yrs..........3 yrs...........AND ONLY LOST LIKE 20-40 LBS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now in fairness...........there are a few of these ppl that it is their own fault. Some ppl get the band and do not get fills. W/o getting the fills the band is kind of useless. But most of those posting things like that do seem to be compliant with what they need to do to make the band work.

The band also has the highest revision rate of any of the WLS's. If u are seriously considering the band please ask about it on the Revision/DS/RNY/VSG forums. U will find a ton of ppl that have revised from the band and u can get some good info there to make your decision.

Best of luck to u in whatever WLS u decide to go with!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

walterswife
on 8/30/10 11:53 pm
Audra,

Just in case Maria does not see this to respond, she would tell you that she would NOT recommend lap band.  She often says that if she had known then what she knows now......I think you get the point of what I am saying.

I suggest that you go to the revisions board to see some of the horror stories about the band.  I am not saying that everyone has problems or a lack of success with the band.  Some people do very well with it and are very satisfied.  However, when I read stories about erosion, slippage, lack of weight loss, etc., it concerns me. I would have been more than a little upset if I had gone through surgery and still couldn't get rid of the weight.  weight. Many are forced to have it removed due to the above reasons.  You should also consider the amount of weight you want to/need to take off.  My particular insurance company will not even approve a band if a patient has a BMI of 50 or above.

I would suggest that you look at all of the major forms of weight loss surgery, including the DS and the VSG.  They are also good procedures.

As to the issue of when you should return to work in addition to the things I have already mentioned, many patients are very tired following surgery and lack the energy to do a good job at work. All I wanted to do the first few weeks was to lay around and watch TV and read.  Didn't have the energy for much else.  It does take time to recover from major surgery.  And any time someone cuts into your stomach and gives you general anesthesia, it's major in my book.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

MzTiff
on 8/31/10 4:24 am, edited 8/31/10 4:30 am - Lithonia, GA
Hi Aundra,
I had VSG surgery on 8/20/2010, and I took two weeks off just in case, thinking I would really only need one week. (I am a speech therapist, and I am on my feet going from student to student and school to school throughout the day).... I physically am not sore or in any pain---- but I am DEAD TIRED throughout the day. I could not have returned to work yesterday (one week out) if I had wanted to. I am even exhausted after a shower.

Hope my experience helps--- and I totally agree with Celeste, please explore all four surgeries, I too started this process with one surgery in mind, but after researching that surgery, I quickly changed my mind:):):)

I can handle pain----- I proudly shout to the world that I gave birth--- to twins, NATURALLY with NO Epidural...... I had all of my wisdom teeth removed and went to school, and worked two jobs the next day......, I once had pneumonia, and was working daily (retail) without missing a beat----- But this surgery has truly humbled me. It wipes me completely out, and I even question whether or not I will be able to go back to work next Tuesday.

If you are able to be away from work... prepare to take the time off--- after all, you can aways return early.
Most Active