Approved!

aseg21
on 8/17/10 12:41 pm - Miami, FL
I got the phone call from my surgeons office today and it's official - I'm approved! Of course, the minute I hung up, I decided I was definitely afraid of it actually being real.

I have mixed feelings about things - on one hand, I'm so excited for the chance to really change my life and actually get to enjoy living it. I know it comes with a lot of hard work, but I feel like I'm finally ready for that! On the other though - the statistics on mortality (low though they are) scare me. I guess because it's elective surgery and I have time to really consider it, I'm thinking about that. I've had surgery once before and it never entered my mind.

I live in McDonough and would really like to find a group or people close to me. I assume my surgery will take place in the next month and it would be great to have someone who had been there, done that to talk things over with...

Ginger L.
on 8/17/10 11:53 pm - Woodstock, GA
Hi.  I'm so happy for you that you have finally gotten approval.  I know how long and hard the process is and it makes you crazy!!  I do also understand the fear that has set in.. I had it too and I believe that most others do as well.  Its like buyers remorse!  Once you buy it you regret spending the money etc etc but worse because its your life that your concerned with or leaving your loved ones behind.  What you need to do is think about the life your living now and the quality of life you have.  I'm not sure your situation or how heavy you are or what mortality's you have etc but I'm sure you have some or you would not be considering wls to begin with.   In my situation I was so heavy my quality of life was awful and I didn't think I would be around too many more years unless I did something drastic!!  Yes you are taking a chance although it be slim but you take that same chance each and every day you walk out of the house.  Your life is in Gods hands and he is in control.  I'm not sure if you are a religious person but praying for peace really helped me.    I wish you all the best !!  Keep in touch and let me know when your date gets near!!

Starting Weight: 325;  Pre Surgery Weight: 314

lerkhart
on 8/18/10 2:53 am
Congratulations on getting approved.

I was so excited and ready that I was not afraid until right before surgery.  I have never looked back and have not regretted having surgery.  It is one of the best things that I have done.

Did you go to counseling?  I did and it really helped.  I also read everything I could get my hands on to help me prepare for the surgery.  Weight loss Guide for Dummies.  I am now reading Garth Davis' book.  It is a personal decision and only you can make it for yourself.

Get yourself in the best shape you can for the surgery.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
DarleneR
on 8/18/10 7:05 am
 Hi there. I know exactly what you are going through.  I actually got my surgery date today and now I'm thinking "is this really what I want to do?"  I think we both know that this is the best thing for us...we are just getting cold feet.  Hang in there..I'm sure it will all work out for the best.  :)
Valarie R.
on 8/18/10 12:00 pm
Hi! I am scheduled for Sept 1st! I too am terrified... but no way would I cancel or postpone... I feel really good about this :)

I would think one weird if they weren't a wee bit terrified to have major surgery!!!
walterswife
on 8/18/10 4:47 pm
Congratulations to you too, Valarie.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

aseg21
on 8/18/10 11:44 pm - Miami, FL
Wow, congratulations! We have the same surgeon also... so I'd love to hear all about how yours goes! Lots of luck to you.
kderry9138
on 8/19/10 11:55 am - Powder Springs, GA
Me too!  I'm scheduled for Sept. 1st!  I am in Powder Springs and I get a little more nervous everyday...but i also get a little more excited.  I am so ready! 
walterswife
on 8/18/10 4:45 pm

Congratulations on your approval.  Many feel exactly the way you do....don't worry.  On the day of surgery I threatened to get up, get dressed and leave.  My friend and husband were there with me.  My husband just looked at me as if I had lost my mind.  My friend told me to just think about all the changes that would come about in my life as a result of the surgery.  She was right.

You will be fine. 

LaShelle has a support group that meets at Henry Medical Center on the second Saturday of each month.  (Can't remember the exact time offhand--I believe it is either 10 or 11 a.m.  I am sure she will respond to your post.

If that doesn't work there are support groups in Decatur at DeKalb Medical and also at Atlanta Medical Center.  Those would probably be the closest for you rather than traveling up to Marietta or to John's Creek.  Let me know if you are interested in any of those and I will provide the information.

Again, congratulations!

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active