Last hoop has been jumped through!

kderry9138
on 8/2/10 11:34 am - Powder Springs, GA
I had my cardiology clearance today and it went great.  Surgery is scheduled for Sept 1st.  I have to go to Dr. Maciks office on Aug. 31st for a pre-op visit.  Can anyone tell me what happens during this visit?  I heard something at a support group where they put the IV thing into your vein and then send you home...is this when that happens?  I am supposed to start my pre-op diet 2 weeks prior.......will it make a difference if I start sooner?  Will it help?  I want to do everything I can to make sure this goes smoothly. 

The greatest legacy a mother can leave her children is the quality of her own life. ~Unknown
HW-285 - Pre-op 270 - GW 150        
brenda549
on 8/2/10 9:28 pm - Duluth, GA
During my preop appointment they gave me post op instructions and diet, went over all of the paper work, and gave me the scrubby things to wash my abdomen the night before and the morning of.  No IV line for me until I was at the hospital.  As a matter of fact, I have never heard of anyone getting a line before being admitted to the hospital.

I think you are okay to start your preop diet sooner if you want since Dr. Macik only recommends a low/no carb diet.  It will help with getting used to eating after surgery.  If he were to recommend a liquid only diet, I would say stick to the 2 weeks only.  Those are extremely difficult. 

Good luck!   I hope this helps!
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

curiouscat7
on 8/3/10 12:40 am

Yup... get pre op diet,post op diet and instructions and scrubby things..... make sure you didn't gain any wt after the 2 wk diet.. If you gained more than 5 pnds he could cancel the surgery

Good luck...

CC

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Paul C.
on 8/3/10 2:18 am - Cumming, GA
I had my pre op appt only 3 weeks ago today.

According to his plan you should be doing the 2 week High Protien Low/No Carb diet, one reason for this is to shrink part of your liver and provide more room to work.  You will get the Prep Instructions, HAVE FUN WITH THIS! The post op diet and scrubby things.   You will also get your Hospital orders and other paper work so you can then pre register at the hospital and get everything there in order.

I was at Emory Johns Creek and they are just awesome there.

Just do what Macik and his staff say and everyhing will be great.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
M U.
on 8/3/10 5:41 am
Yep on board with all the others said. Just instructions, weighing etc at the preop visit. No IV's until you are at the hospital. It wouldn't hurt to do the diet earlier but it's pretty tough staying under 20 carbs a day before surgery.

Congrats on getting your date!! 
CPGinGA
on 8/7/10 1:51 am - Marietta, GA
Yup ... all great advice! One thing I would recommend that has helped me ... don't eat in front of the TV! Eat at the kitchen, so somewhere else! Mind over matter ... mind over matter.

Nothing can ever taste as good as how I feel today. Oh hell yea, I feel great!

Most Active