shbp Cigna or UHC???

nilesmama08
on 7/22/10 3:49 am, edited 7/22/10 5:47 am - Atlanta , GA

Hello everyone,

So sorry for all of the one million questions. I am trying to do everything possible to begin my WLS journey.  I want to know which shbp insurance is WLS friendly. I have decided to go with Dr. Macik for VSG. Can anyone help me decide the best insurance plan? Thanks

Stephanie

curiouscat7
on 7/22/10 5:23 am

Congrats on great choice of Doc......as far as insurance I had UHC and it was good...but I would review each plan very carefully before choosing...

Is this the school system's ins? If  so there are lots of teachers on here that can help...

Good Luck

CC
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
nilesmama08
on 7/22/10 5:46 am - Atlanta , GA
Thanks CuriousCat,

I am a teacher in GA. I currently have UHC HMO (don't qualify for WLS)  so it would be nice to keep UHC.  I heard great things about Cigna too. I am looking for easiest way to go for approval.

Stephanie
curiouscat7
on 7/22/10 7:06 am
La Shelle and some others are very well versed on the teacher insurance.... Hopefully the will respond

Good luck

CC
LaShelle2
on 7/22/10 7:20 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
They are both pretty much the same. Macik is on both plans.   You will be fine to stick with UHC, since you are happy with their service.  Just make sure you get ther HRA or High Deductible plan.

Now, the big thing to fret about is whether wls will be dropped from our bebefits???? I pray they do not, but they've screwed us over with the furloughs and not hiring to fill vacancies, I wouldn't put it past the boogers.
nilesmama08
on 7/22/10 7:33 am - Atlanta , GA
WOW LaShelle!

I pray GA won't drop wls! Have you heard about shbp dropping wls???? I would be crushed!

Stepanie
LaShelle2
on 7/22/10 9:15 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
 NO, I haven't heard that they will. You should be able to find out Oct or Nov whether it will be covered next year. Each year they re-negotiate the benefits package. It would be an easy thing to cut out  without many people (except us) noticing it.  

Our insurance is self funded, so the state actually pays out of pocket for each of our surgeries in a sense. I am not an insurance expert, but that's how it was explained to me by someone. 

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

AndreaH09
on 7/22/10 7:49 am
I have UHC - HRS through state of Ga and have not had any problems - - - was approved recently and am scheduled for Aug 5.

I agree with Lashelle "wouldn't put it past the boogers"!!!  Our state is in terrible financial condition and will be looking at any way they can to save dollars!  I've worked for the state for 22 years and have seen it all!  Don't want to discourage you - - - just throwing in my two cents! 
HW 251/SW 239/CW 183/GW 150  height= 5'5"

curiouscat7
on 7/22/10 11:08 am
Not to get political... that's wht u need to vote.... a good governor is very important.... we need to protect and improve education in GA

CC
CColeman
on 7/22/10 1:21 pm
I'm a teacher and have UHC-HRA. So far so good.

Good luck!

Most Active