Me and my long absences....

HeatherML
on 7/17/10 1:29 pm - Atlanta, GA
So...I haven't been around for a long time again...but I'm back with more knowledge to help me on my 3rd attempt at getting this done... One of the new bits of knowledge is that I'm feeling like my PCP has no concept of what I'm dealing with. I need help with finding a new PCP that actually understands Morbid Obesity and is willing to help me.  My doctor goes back and forth whether I have diabetes and hypothyroidism...these are not conditions that just come and go...and her refusal to give me the needed meds for these conditions is leaving me feeling like some science experiment.  I am in the Sandy Springs, Ga area and I prefer a female doctor. 

In other news..I am working for a health insurance company answering phones for doctors and hospitals and understand way more about insurance and what is covered and how and how all the medical insurance stuff works....it's pretty complex and the "logic" of it doesn't make sense most of the time...but I have learned that it is not the insurance companies that are denying the surgery....it is the employer that picks out the group plan..when it comes to employer group health plans anyways...so if your "insurance doesn't cover" the surgery you need to talk with your HR department about getting that changed. Chances are it will come with an increase in premiums in your companies over all insurance.  I get so happy when I get a call from a doctors office for Bariatric surgery benefits and I am able to tell the doctors office that it is covered. 

Any leads anyone can help me with on finding a PCP who can help me with the 6 months of monitored diet and exercise program would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Heather
Heather in Sandy Springs
Denying myself life is so much worse than denying myself food.

Fascinated One
on 7/18/10 2:09 am - Atlanta, GA
Emory has a program whi*****ludes a bariatric physician--Dr. Joann Williams. Not sure which insurance you have, but going thru Emory's pre-op diet program I only had to do 3 months. Aetna required either the 6 month supervised diet or a 3 month supervised diet along with monthly nutritionist visits. I saw Dr. Williams and the nutritionist on the same day each month.

Insurance requirements vary, so be sure to check with your insurer to see if there are other options, or check with Emory to see if they accept your insurance.
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
brenda549
on 7/18/10 6:31 am - Duluth, GA
I did not use my PCP for my six months and referral.  I used my endocrinologist.  She wrote my letter of recommendation, followed my doctor recommended diet, and I saw the diabetes dietician in the same office for the nutrition referral required for my insurance.  It sounds like you need an endo in any case if you may have diabetes or hypothyroidism.  Neither are anything to play with.  Both can be life threatening if untreated.  My sister went without her thyroid meds for a few months due to lack of funds.  She never told anyone she was out of money or meds.  Her TSH tested dangerously high just from the short time she went without the meds. 

I see Dr. Mahakala with the North Atlanta Endcrinology and Diabetes Group.  She is great! 

I cannot help you with the PCP.  I have not ever laid eyes on mine (in 10 years).  I always see the Physician's Assisstant.  
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

DarleneR
on 7/18/10 10:02 pm

Hi Heather-

First off let me say that I am glad to see you are not giving up on the fight to get this surgery.  I can't help you with a PCP in the Sandy Springs area but I can recommend an Endocrinologist for you.  I'm not sure what insurance you have but about a year and a half ago my gyno referred me to an Endocrinologist for my PCOS.  Her name is Dr. Rachel Derr and she is located at:

5667 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Center For Medicine End & Diabts
Suite 150
Atlanta, GA 30342

Sorry but I don't have her phone number handy.  I really liked her; she was very understanding about my concerns and did not get all preachy on me about my weight. 

If your concerns are diabetes and a thyroid condition it sounds like you might want to consider skipping the PCP and going straight to the person who can help you - an Endocrinologist. 

Hope that helps and good luck on your journey.

HeatherML
on 7/22/10 11:15 am - Atlanta, GA
Thank you for your responses!  I signed up for the Emory Bariatrics seminar on Aug 12th...Hopefully they can help me out!
Heather in Sandy Springs
Denying myself life is so much worse than denying myself food.

Most Active