Dr. Oz

JoynGA
on 7/9/10 1:53 am - Powder Springs, GA
Dr. Oz says the best day to start a diet is Saturday. So tomorrow I will be starting my liquid pre-op diet, my surgery is on 7/28/10. 

Any suggestions?

What worked for you?

LaShelle2
on 7/9/10 3:05 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
That's interesting? Why Saturday?  I would think Monday because I'd be distracted by work all day. Saturday I'd be just sitting home thinking of food all day!

I didn't have a pre-op liquid diet, so no advice pre-op.  I did find post op it was helpful to mix up with a variety of both sweet and savory stuff, like soups and broth.  I got tired of juices and smoothies really quick and wanted something warm and salty. I even drank pickle juice, YES pickle juice!!!  Believe me once you're on liquids a minute you'll understand.

I don't care to ever see a popcicle or cup of jello ever again!

Jello is normally ok on a liquid diet too,as well as yogurt  which gives you something to kinda sorta chew on. 

A rule I've heard is it's considered "liquid" if you can get it through a straw. Now take that ad interpret it however you want to.  I heard one lady blended country style ribs she had slow coked in a crock pot and added broth to make it "liquid" ;-)  I think just a bit of common sense, creativity, and prayer will get you through these next couple of weeks.

Did your surgeon give you a list of suggested foods to try?

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

JoynGA
on 7/9/10 3:48 am - Powder Springs, GA
Saturday because you are more relaxed and it seems will be more committed to see the diet thr ough come the next week.  Go figure, I would have thought it was Monday but apparently according to statistics Monday is the worst day.

Yes, he suggested liquids and no more than 50g of protein including 2 servings of fresh fruit and plenty of water.

Just trying to clame my nerves with research and idle web browsing. I know I made the best decision for me it is just I hate waiting
Thanks for responding

Angie H.
on 7/9/10 5:59 am - Brooklet, GA
The biggest thing about the liquid diet for me was getting myself off the carbs. I admit that I mixed it up a bit and had vegetables (sqash, cabbage) a few times but never any carbs and 2-days before surgery went on ALL liquids. This helped me soooo much after surgery, I wasn't crashing from not having the carbs in my system. Good luck to you. Angie

M U.
on 7/10/10 2:04 am
Hi there, I live in Powder Springs too.

My preop diet wasn't liquid, it was just under 20 carbs a day. I did mostly veggies, lean proteins etc. It was tough, but I dropped 19 lbs. prior to surgery and (hopefully) shrunk my liver, which is the whole point of it.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!! :) 
Most Active