Newbie with a million questions about DS

GAEDUC8OR
on 6/30/10 3:36 am
Hello,

I am new here, but I have learned so much from lurking the last week or so. I am considering WLS, first I was sure that I wanted Lap Band. Now after much research, I feel that DS would better suit my goals and objectives over the long term. I have SHBP UHC HRA and just begun the six month pre-op requirements. Are there any seminars and support groups in the Conyers/ Covington area? Lastly I would only consider laparascopic DS and not open surgery. Any info is greatly appreciated. I also look forward to meeting and communicating with you all. 
LaShelle2
on 6/30/10 6:05 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
What is your bmi? shbp will only cover DS if it is 50+

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

GAEDUC8OR
on 6/30/10 6:34 am
My bmi is 45. What options are available for SHBP coverage at my current bmi?
LaShelle2
on 6/30/10 11:18 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hey, here are your choices

RNY gastric bypass
VSG Vertical sleeve gastrectomy
VBG Vertical Banded Gastrectomy
Lap Band
Realize Band

If you ahve any health problems like diabetes or hypertension, or if it runs in your family and you are at risk in developing it in the future, you should consider a malabsorbtive procedure like RNY.   Otherwise the others may appeal to you.

Or.... you can gain 20 pounds and get a DS        OK JUST KIDDING!!!!!  As much as I love DS there is no way I would suggest gaining weight to get it.  But, I would and did cheat on that 6 month supervised diet, so I didn't drop below 50bmi.  

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

walterswife
on 7/1/10 7:41 am
Guess they could consider silver dollars in their pockets and weights around the ankles while weighing in. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

GAEDUC8OR
on 6/30/10 6:44 am
sassyjonz
on 6/30/10 11:35 am - Atlanta, GA
Welcome and congrats on your decision.  It was the best choice I have ever made in my life.

Dr. Maynard's DS support group meeting is the 3rd thursday of every month at 6pm at Rockdale Hospital in Conyers.  He does not do the DS lap but you are welcome to come to support group of course. 
I don't know much about your insurance but Dr. Dennis Smith in Marietta is an excellent surgeon and he performs the DS lap.  There are other DS surgeons as well who are outside of Atlanta if you are willing to travel.

We are happy to answer any and all questions.

Lia 

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

walterswife
on 6/30/10 3:04 pm
GGAEDUC I am sure LaShelle will chime in soon about which surgeries are covered by your insurance company.  At the very least it would be RNY and the band but I am not sure about the sleeve.  LaShelle could provide that information for you.

Sorry you cannot get the DS but do your research and select the procedure that is best for you.  I had to exclude the band from my list early on due to the horror stories of problems with slippage, erosion, and lack of results.  Once you do your research, I am confident that you will make the best decision.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active