Cigna Approved Bariatric Surgeons

LaShelle2
on 6/30/10 11:42 pm, edited 7/3/10 7:18 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Here is a List of the Approved Surgeons on Cigna's List.  Posting for GAEDUC8TOR, but hopefully someone else can use it too.

I highligted the ones that do vbg and DS because it is hard to find a surgeon for those procedures.

If your desired surgeon is not on this list, you can check with someone with shbp UHC to see if they cover them.   You need to know before open enrollment because once you commit to your insurance you will be stuck with it a year.

They will NOT make exceptions and cover someone not on the list.

Georgia

Atlanta
AtlantaMedicalCenter - Qammar Rashid, MD      (I believe she left his practice and  
                                               moved to DeKalb Medical - she is  
                                               the only surgeon I know of that does the VBG vertical banded 
                                               gastrectomy)
- Larry Hobson, MD - Clarence Hixon, MD - Titus Duncan,
                                               MD - Celio Burrowes, MD
                                               (I believe Dr. Mayanrd was added also  He does DS:

Atlanta
EmoryUniversityHospital Midtown - Charles R Finley, MD - Edward Lin, DO - S. Scott Davis, MD - Jahnavi Srinivasan, MD - John Sweeney, MD

Atlanta
NorthsideHospital - Christopher Hart, MD - Paul E Macik, MD - John P Daly, MD

Augusta
TrinityHospital of Augusta - Arthur B Chasen, MD - Michael W Blaney, MD HE DOES DS!

Brunkswick
Southeast Georgia Health System - Harold Kent, MD - Peter Henderson, MD

BrunswickSoutheast Georgia Health System - Peter Henderson, MD - Harold Kent, MD

Dalton
HamiltonMedicalCenter - Jaime Ponce, MD - Richard F Fromm, MD - Steven W Paynter, MD

Decatur DeKalb Medical - Scott D Steinberg, MD (I believe Dr Quammar Rashid is working here
                                                 now and no longe rw/ Dr. Duncan)

Johns Creek EmoryJohnsCreekHospital - Ahad Khan, MD - Christopher J Hart, MD - Ahad Khan, MD - Paul Macik, MD - William Johnson, MD - Paul Macik, MD - Christopher J Hart, MD - William Johnson, MD

Rome FloydMedicalCenter - John R Scott, MD

Savannah MemorialHealthUnviersityMedicalCenter - John D Angstadt, MD - Oliver C Whipple, MD

***  I believe Dr. Dennis Smith at Kennestone was added and he does DS

Anyone else with shbp  looking for a  DS surgeon close by there is:  Dr. Hugh Houston in Nashville, Dr. David Voellinger in Charlotte, and Dr. Ranjan Sudan in Raleigh Durham, NC.  

They are all excellent DS surgeons with good reputations. 

MARTINA P.
on 7/1/10 1:02 pm - ROCKMART, GA
Lashelle thanks for posting of course I am trying to find out everyone that does DS.  If Dr. Dennis Smith start being covered on our insurance that will be great because I will use him because he is close to hope and he does it lap. 
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

LaShelle2
on 7/3/10 7:12 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
 I am fairly certain he was added in the last few months, but his office was working out the final details. Definitely give him a call to confirm . When you find out, please post back so I can pass along the info.

And YES he only does laproscopic! A definite MUST in my opinion too.

Still, consult with a few other DS and non surgeons to give yourself some choices.   I'm just not a fan of settling for whomever is closest or cheapest. You need the BEST. Whether it be Dr. Smith or someone else. :-)  The only way you'll know that is to research and compare.

I have full confidence in Dr. Smith and would trust him to do my own DS if needed, so I think he would be a great surgeon for you.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Pam Davis
on 7/1/10 9:45 pm - Franklin, TN
I know it would be a trip to TN, but all three of our surgeons are Cigna approved: Douglas Olsen, David Dyer and Hugh Houston (who does lap DS).
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

LaShelle2
on 7/2/10 12:06 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
 Hey Pam good to see you on the GA forum. Love the new pic on your avatar. You're looking great!

And of course I think Dr. Houston is the best DS surgeon in our area hands down!  And just Centennial is awesome.  

You guys have the best, most attentive, caring nurses! I never had to wait more than 5 minutes if I pressed the nurse call button.  I also loved the fact that it's not a teaching hospital where you have a zillion interns coming in to bug you ever few minutes.  You just had your 2 nurses for the day and they did everything for you, that was great. 

I don't know what Centennial does to recruit such great nurses, or what training program you have for customer service, and patient care, but it should serve as a model for other hospitals.  

I am so grateful for the care and genuine concern shown towards me last year. 

~LaShelle

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Pam Davis
on 7/2/10 11:48 pm - Franklin, TN
Thank you for your kind words! With your permission, I will gladly share with our nurses! They do rock. When you love what you do, it just shows through and it no longer becomes work. When will we get to see your lovely face again? Hope you have a wonderful Holiday weekend!
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

LaShelle2
on 7/3/10 7:07 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Sure Pam,  feel free to pass the message along.  They really are outstanding, not like any nurses I've ever had care for me in any other hospital. 

People put a lot of emphasis in choosing the right surgeon and the right hospital, but I encourage people to check out the nurses too before surgery, After all, they are the ones that really care for you the 23 1/2 hours of the day your surgeon is not visiting with you. :-)

I paid a visit to the bariatric ward at Centennial pre-op and met a few of the nurses and checked out the rooms. They were all so nice. It sealed the deal or me and made me a lot more comfortable with my decision to have my DS in Nashville.  

You should consider offering a monthly orientation similar to what they do for moms to be for your wls patients.   Just having seen the room type I would be in and where my family could grab a bite to eat, etc made me feel so much better when I was placed in my room. It already seemed familiar to me and it eliminated a lot of potential anxiety.

I'll be back to see Dr. H on July 23 for my 1 year. I just can't believe it's already been a year.  I'll be celebrating my 35th birthday Monday, and I know if Dr. H hadn't saved my life and quality of life with my DS,  I would not be as well and happy as I am today.   I plan on making up in the next 35 years for what I lost in the 1st 35 being trapped in my fat body :-)

You are truly blessed to be such a blessing to so many people Pam.  I know we all have ups and downs with our jobs, but be assured you are loved and appreciated by all of us.

Thanks for all you do!

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

Pam Davis
on 7/3/10 11:04 pm - Franklin, TN
Dear friend, you have made my weekend with your kind remarks! I'm marking my calendar to make sure I'm in the office when you come in for follow up. I love the idea of doing tours on the unit - great idea! Have a wonderful Holiday!
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Most Active