In need of reassurance

Valarie R.
on 6/29/10 3:18 pm
I sent my paperwork in to the doc over a week ago and have heard nothing.... I have Anthem BCBS PPO, and I really feel like I should have heard something either way by now!

I'm going nuts wondering if this is just a fantasy or if it is really going to happen for me
walterswife
on 6/29/10 4:16 pm
I think you are worrying needlessly. A week is not a long time  After the surgeon gets all of your paperwork, it may take them several days to get the packet together for submission to the insurance company.  Have you called to ask if your docs have been submitted?  If they say yes, you can always call the insurance company to see what is going on.

I have Empire BCBS.  Once submitted I was approved in about 3 or 4 days.  However it is not unusual for folks to have to wait for a few weeks after submission to find out.  Remember it is the summer and many people are off for vacation which might also slow things down.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

LeahA
on 6/29/10 10:51 pm - Atlanta , GA
I have to agree... When I submitted my paperwork I stopped thinking about it because the nurse in the doctors office told me it could take up to 6 weeks before they heard something.  I went on vacation and just went about things as usual and heard back a month later that I was approved and scheduled for surgery 2 months later. 

I know that it is hard to NOT think about it, but it really is for the best.  It seems like eternity waiting for them to give you an answer, but it will only drive you crazy thinking about it.
RNY 5-12-04 Done at St Vincents Hospital in Carmel Indiana by Dr Margaret Inman.

Would I do it again?  IN A HEARTBEAT!!  Best gift I ever gave myself.
curiouscat7
on 6/30/10 8:11 am
i;m confused..are U Staying with doc?

CC
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Valarie R.
on 7/2/10 2:08 pm
I have decided to stay with Champion. I took the things you said into consideration, but other than a suspension more than 10 years ago, the rest is heresay... I can't see holding a one-time screw up against someone with such amazing statistics for the surgery I want. His numbers are impressive, and I feel very good about him. I am thankful that you shared the info you did though :)
LteNight
on 7/7/10 4:02 am - Marietta, GA
 Dr Champion is an amazing surgeon. He did my RNY and it was flawless.
Highest weight (5/26/10) - 376, Surgery Weight(6/2/10) - 366  

LaShelle2
on 7/7/10 10:35 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
 Valerie, how is the insurance approval going?

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Valarie R.
on 7/7/10 10:52 am
I'm not really sure... Dr. C's office called to tell me the RNY is covered by my plan, and that I meet their requirements, which is good news! BCBS requires a psych eval and nutritionist appt, so I am doing those appointments now.

I have my psych eval this morning, and it went really well, next week is the nutritionist... I FINALLY meet with the doc the second week of August, hopefully to schedule my surgery!!!

Thanks for asking :)
LaShelle2
on 7/7/10 11:21 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I'm confused? I thought you said they were submitting your paperwork to insurance? Didn't they tell you what you needed to do before you sent in for approval? Normally that's the 1st thing a wls surgeon's financial coordinator does?

Are you considering other surgeons? Have you researched Dr. Champion thoroughly and pulled a report on him with the GA Medical Review Board?

Maybe this stall will  give you an opportunity to do more research into this .

Valarie R.
on 7/9/10 12:40 am
I can't really blame Dr. C's office if I misread/misunderstood something- I was told they would check to see if it was covered, and I assumed they meant they woud try to pre-cert. But when I called to see how it was going, they further explained that they checked & it is a covered surgery, and they told me what all I needed for them to pre-cert.

I passed the psych eval Wed, and see the nutritionist next week, and then meet with Champion a couple of weeks thereafter!!!

I did pull info for this doc, and I know a lot of people have PM'd me to make sure I knew about his addiction/recovery in 98' but I don't really see how that is relevant today.... it was 12 years ago. Everyone screws up sometimes- at least he dealt with his issue. And his numbers remain superior to the other docs I looked into. Clearly, he's a good surgeon, and that is what matters most to me. But I do appreciate that so many on this board care and took the time to share info with me :)
Most Active