PCP Wanted

Desiree N.
on 6/28/10 4:45 am - Marietta, GA
Anyone have a PCP near the the Marietta/Smyrna area that is receptive to WLS/RNY patients?  I am almost 10 years out and have been going through docs in this darn town like water. I can't find a good one to work with that understands my body isn't the same as their med school cadaver.  I prefer holistic practitioners due to the limited drug tolerances I have.   I have been to a group at Emory Adventist, Urban Family Practice, Kennesaw Family Physicians and all have either not paid attention  or prescribed things that I either absorb to quickly or don't absorb at all with regards to meds.  

I prefer to do things by reference instead of picking names out of a phone book.

Thanks,

Desiree
walterswife
on 6/29/10 6:44 am
Have you considered branching out to other parts of town.  I live in Decatur, work in Atlanta and travel to many different metro counties for work during the course of the week.

Perhaps extending the area that your are looking in would be helpful.  I know LaShelle speaks highly of a PCP that is somewhere in Henry County.  I love my PCP and he is in Decatur.

The other thing you could consider doing is contacting one of the bariatric practices (for instance Dr. Dennis Smith practices in Marietta) and ask if they can refer you to a PCP that works with bariatric patients.  I have gotten many referrals by other doctors over the years and 99% of the time I have been very satisfied.

Please let me know if these suggestions help.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

cindyls06
on 7/6/10 12:53 pm - Marietta, GA
Hi Desiree - I live in Marietta also. I have a great PCP Dr. Sandra Banks, she isn't in the Marietta area, but it only takes me like 15 minutes or less (no traffic) to get to her office near Northside Hospital.

Primary Care Physicians of Atlanta 5670 Peachtree Dunwoody Road North East Suite 1200 Atlanta, GA, 30342    (404) 381-1831

She is pretty cool and will give it to you straight (with love). But my bariatric surgeon recommended her and she has several people with wls as patients.

Good luck!
Desiree N.
on 7/8/10 6:35 am - Marietta, GA
Thank you ladies.  I am not opposed to going out of the general area, but Decatur and Henry County are little far to go when I need to get in the doc's office if I'm truly sick.  
 Don't really wish to drive an hour if I'm coughing up a lung or worse. 

I have heard of Dr. Banks. She is actually a friend of a colleague of mine.  I guess I forgot about her.  I shall try and see if I can work something out with her.   I can't seem to get these PCP's to understand that they need to think a little more out of the box. 

I have tried asking Emory Bariatrics for help, but I have not found their follow-up care to be all that great.

I will definitely check with a few other surgeons' offices.  That is a good idea.  Thanks!

Desiree

Most Active