I have Been Aprroved Surgery July 6

LaShelle2
on 6/27/10 3:03 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Martina,

I did all my pre-op testing before I switched to Dr Houston. I only had to do the pre-op labwork at the hospital.

However, I HIGHLY encourage you to attend the seminar for whatever surgeon you choose and as many surgeons as possible. By the time I switched to Dr. Houston I had attended 5 seminars with 5 surgeons, met many surgeons, attended countless support meetings, researched enough online to perform the surgery myself :-)     I also checked out every book in the GA Pines Library System on wls and read each thoroughly - about 20-25.  I watched every episode of Big Medicine, and  I lost it,  Everything I could find on TV about wls...

I totally immersed myself in wls for that year pre-op.

When I had my surgery I was 110% sure I was making the right choice. I knew hands down DS was far superior to anything else out there.  I knew no way in hell would I ever get a rny or lap-band. I would have rather stayed fat and died from co-morbidities than  to have one of those procedures. 

I knew I would not have been able to wrap my head around the self induced deprivation of rny, or the inevitable weight gain that would start 3-5 years out. And I knew having a lap-band and being one of the MANY out there that never lose, or lose and regain would have been so disapointing, I would have been inspired to jump off of the highest bridge over dry land I could find.  There is just no way I could put myself through wls with a "tool" designed to help me fail.

I knew I never wanted to be fat again. NEVER!

I did my homework before choosing the DS, so I wouldn't have any regrets down the road.  I knew as much as possible without having to actually go through it, because some things can only be learned from personal experience (like staring at a vitamin an hour before you force yourself to swallow it).

So RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.  And as inconvenient as it may be,  DO attend Dr. Houston's seminar whether it is required or not, as well as Dr. Smith, Dr. Maynard, and Dr. Blaney's.  Also, visit  a couple of surgeons that don't do DS to get a variety of opinions.  If travel is an option, Dr Voellinger has a great seminar in Charlortte NC as well. Each one will give you a new perspective and more knowledge about all the procedures available to you.

Get from behind your computer screen and meet actual people who have had wls and actual surgeons for real life information!  

Have dinner with a group of wls post ops.  What are their eating habits?  Do you want to eat like them? 

Talk to people a few years out. How much weight have they regained? Did they ever even reach their goal before the pounds started to creep back on?

Do you know how sad it is to be in a support meeting and have the facilitator go around the room for introductions,  and hear the rny and lap-banders recite how much they lost and how much they've regained?  Or,  to hear of a lap-bander on phentermine because the pounds aren't coming off?  ... Those people had as much hope as the next person for a life of health and happiness. Can you imagine the emotional trauma of believing you failed, when actually you didn't fail, you just had a less effective procedure that didn't allow you to reach your maximum potential?   It just makes me want to cry sometimes.... Seriously!

Be well informed, not misinformed. 

Don't be LAZY. Suck it up and go to the seminar :-)

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

MARTINA P.
on 6/26/10 11:32 am - ROCKMART, GA
Denise,

Is your Dr.  doing surger Lap or open.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

CallMeMsE
on 6/27/10 5:03 am - Duluth, GA
Hey Ms. Denise...It was nice meeting you last evening and I'll be sending my prayers your way. CONGRATS and I look forward to seeing your transformation!!!!
LaShelle2
on 6/27/10 3:06 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
 OT...

Erica you know you were looking HOT last night!!! I am so proud of you Switch Sister. You are rocking your DS!!!

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

CallMeMsE
on 6/29/10 12:47 pm - Duluth, GA
Thanks girl!! I'm trying to be like ya'll.  I love my DS!!!! 
Most Active