HELP - When to take vitamins

FOXYBROWN MAMA
on 6/23/10 8:17 pm
 I am trying to figure out when to take my vitamins and what I can take together.  I take my thyroid meds first thing in the morning, around 5:30 or 6:00.  I know you can't mix certain things together.  What can I take together?
Im', currently taking:
b-12 - 2 tablets 1000 mg
Calcium Crystals 3 scoops - 1800 mg
Iron - 60 mg (is this enough?)
Multi Vit. - 2 tablets
baby Aspirin (3 months to prevent clotting) - 1 aspirin
High Blood pressure - 1 pill

all from Bariatric Advantage except aspirin and B-12.

"'I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control and at times I'm hard to handle...but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."-- Marilyn Monroe

walterswife
on 6/23/10 11:59 pm
This is my understanding:

1)  You are right to take the thyroid medication first thing in the a.m. and on an empty stomach.  It is my understanding that you can also take the b vits at the same time.

2)  Wait four hours an take one of the multis. You could probably do the iron at the same time.  60 mgs should be enough to start.  You can reevaluate this when you get your first set of lab results back after 3 or 6 months, whenever your dr. does them.

3)  Wait two hours and then take up to 600 mgs of calcium.  We can't absorb more than 600 mgs at a time. You should wait 2 hours between doses.

4)  Main thing is that you cannot take iron and calcium at the same time.  However, if you ever take vitamin C, you can take them at the same time.

5)  I think you can take the bp meds whenever you want to.  Some people prefer to take them in the morning.  Not sure about the aspirin.  You might want to ask the dietitian that question.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active