upcoming lap-band

kkapow03
on 6/19/10 9:40 am - macon, GA
having lap-band on june 25th. should i start doing clear liquids a few days before? my surgeon only said to do the Sugar-Busters diet beforehand to shrink my liver, but am wondering if just doing clear liquids will do it better.
any advice is welcome!!!

LaShelle2
on 6/20/10 6:42 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hey, ask your doctor, he will know what's best.

Also, I couldn't help but notice you are having a lap band and your BMI is over 54.  Have you thoroughly researched ALL your wls options?    I know your surgery is super close, but please make sure you're having the right procedure for you, even if you have to reschedule.

Please research DS and rny.  Also visit the regrets and revisions forum.

Best wishes :-)
kkapow03
on 6/20/10 10:47 am - macon, GA
LaShelle,
Don't know where they got the BMI of 54; my BMI is actually 49. And yes, I've researched all the options, but my doctor and I feel this is the best choice for me.

Will look at the regrets and rivisions forum tonight.

Thanks,
Karen
LaShelle2
on 6/20/10 12:56 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Ok, that's good, just do your research.

Does your surgeon do all 4 procedures?   Have you consulted with a surgeon who does all 4, so you can get an impartial reccomendation?

I know your surgery is in a few days, and it's not likely you will change your mind at this point, but there are more effective procedures than lapband worth considering.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

kkapow03
on 6/20/10 7:19 pm - macon, GA
My surgeon actually does 5 different WLS, including a new one called the ROSE procedure. That one is for gastric bypass patients whose surgery has failed. He goes in through your mouth, and puts pleats in the pouch to  reduce it back to its original size when someone first had the bypass done. Even though he does it, he doesn't recommend it much; patients have had much better success with the lap-band on top of the bypass.

He's done almost 1000 of the lap-bands, and strongly recommends it as the best long-term success option.
LaShelle2
on 6/20/10 11:14 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
He's done almost 1000 of the lap-bands, and strongly recommends it as the best long-term success option.

I am not going to get into a my surgery is better than your surgery debate, but this is a bunch of crap.

You need to do your research!   Even if you did minimal research you would know the lap band is the LEAST EFFECTIVE procedure!  

How could you be a couple of days from letting somebody perform a life altering procedure on you and not know that???

That just ****** me off!!!!!!!!!

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

walterswife
on 6/20/10 11:50 pm
I have to agree with LaShelle here.  I really don't know how a surgeon could say that the band is the most effective surgical procedure.  Statistics show otherwise.  I am totally confused.  A BMI of 49 woul suggest to me that the band is a questionable choice.

At any rate, best to you with your upcoming surgery.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

walterswife
on 6/20/10 11:58 pm
I remember meeting a woman from Albany at my nutrition class.  She said that she had to come to Atlanta for RNY because nobody in Albany performed the procedure.

I hav e cheked your surgeon's website.  As it turns out, he does not perform all procedures.  He does Lapband and Realize bands as well as the Rose and Stoamphyx procedures.  That's it.  He does not do the DS, nor does he do RNY or the sleeve.  I have no doubt why he told you that the band was your best choice--he had nothing else to offer you.

I just hope that this is the best choice for you and that you will be satisfied with the results.

LaShelle2
on 6/21/10 1:28 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I noticed the same thing on the website too Celeste, but how do you tell somebody 4 days from surgery they may be making the biggest mistake of her life without coming across as being mean spirited or insensitive?

I am so angry at the surgeon for misleading people!!!!!  

Anybody who thinks the band is more effective than rny or DS is delusional!!!!    This surgeon sounds like a quack.

It just ain't right.

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

walterswife
on 6/21/10 2:54 am
LaShelle,

I agree that when someone has made up their mind it is difficult for you to get them to reconsider without sounding like you are trying to wreck their life.
However, you and I know what the real deal is.

We may not be doctors, but we know enough about WLS to know and appreciate the fact that the band is not for everyone, especially for those with high BMIs.  As far as I am concerned, a BMI of 49 is high (especially when you consider 24 to be "normal."  I think a big part of this is all of the advertising that has gone on in the media about the band.

When I first started in this process I thought I wanted a band.  Then after reading all of the horror stories about slippage, erosion, revisions, failed bands and regrets, I quickly changed my mind.  Plus the idea of having a foreign object in my body and the thought of fills just starting making me ill.

The band is a good choice for some..................it is a very poor choice for others.  I have got serious problems with a blanket statement regarding anyone who comes in the door that a particular surgery is the best thing since sliced bread.

I hope it works out for her........everyone deserves to be happy and satisfied with the decision they have made.

Most Active