Moving to GA SOON!

LeahA
on 6/24/10 12:16 am - Atlanta , GA
You must live pretty close to me because my kids go to White Oak elementary.  I know that Sycamore Elem split the kids into those two schools!!  I know that going from Dekalb to Gwinnett schools was a major thing and my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!  My kids are 10, 8, 3, and I am due in October with #4.

So... that being said, I second Gwinnett county.  I absolutely LOVE our neighborhood and feel so at home here.
RNY 5-12-04 Done at St Vincents Hospital in Carmel Indiana by Dr Margaret Inman.

Would I do it again?  IN A HEARTBEAT!!  Best gift I ever gave myself.
michelle202
on 6/7/10 2:43 am - GA
Suzi, when you come down, where ever you decide to look, try and find one of the newer schools, less chance of being redistricted then. Also find out the student teacher ratio, as georgia has just passed a law that the schools will not have a limit to the number of students to a class, therefore it is up to the individual school. Thats not so great news.

Also, most of the homes in this part of Georgia are in subdivision communities, so before you buy take a look at the covenant laws of the community. Some of them are just rediculous.  Also, find out about the home owners association fees and what all is included in them.  Finally, ask around the neighborhood about flooding. An agent who is anxious to sell may not disclose the fact that when we get heavy rains (and believe me, we get some torrential rains) certain areas flood, even if they don't seem likely to flood at a glance. You also want to try to buy in a community that has filled itself with homes. A lot of developers bought land, built homes here and there, then went bankrupt. So some communities have large lots of unattended land in between beautifully built homes. The land becomes bank owned and if somebody buys from the bank, who knows what they will build there.

Finally, when you are here, take a drive down to Lake Lanier and the Buford Dam. Its really very beautiful there. We were in a drought for a few years, and it was a suffering lake, but now it is nearly full pool, and its just lovely.

Hope I'm not being an overbearing transplant, but this has been what I learned while relocating to Georia. I have been lucky, but a lot of others, not so much.
micvsgmom.com

brenda549
on 6/7/10 1:49 pm - Duluth, GA
Gwinnett County Schools are great!  I have been teaching here for 9 years now.  For the second year in a row we are a finalist for the Broad Prize.  Sycamore is a great school.  One of my closest friends works there.  Be sure to go to the GCPS website.  There is a comprehensive list with maps and links to test scores and school data.  If you need help with getting info on any school let me know.
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

LaShelle2
on 6/8/10 6:24 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hey Suzy,

Welcome to the GA forum. I am glad you found us here. Looks like you've already gotten some great advice.  Best Wishes.  Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help once you get here.

LaShelle

walterswife
on 6/9/10 8:40 am
LaShelle,

Your flowers, artwork, clipart and additions to your posts get better by the minute!

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active