Dr. Suggestions

Neb
on 5/26/10 1:03 am
My insurance only covers a certain group of doctors...any recommendations or advice (good or bad) about any of these??

Dr. Maynard
Dr. Duncan
Dr. Hixon
Dr. Hobbson
Dr. Burrowes

All have to be done at Atlanta Medical Center.  Help please??
LaShelle2
on 5/26/10 4:45 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Wow those are slim pickings!!!!  I assume you have Medicaid, since those are the only ones in the area that take Medicaid.

What kind of surgery do you want?

Dr. Maynard is the only one in that group that does the DS, but does not know how to do laproscopic surgeries. All the rest do rny and band.

I don't envy your position. With something as major as wls it would be nice to be able to pick the best surgeon and not just settle for what the government will pay for. The better surgeons won't accept the meager rates Medicaid will pay them, so your choices are VERY limited.

I suggest doing a Google search of each surgeon, check their records with the GA Medical Review Board, attend seminars and support groups, and talk to as many people as possible. Also keep in mind a "popular"  surgeon may not be the best at aftercare if they are very busy with a lot of patients and have a lot of other types of surgeries they are doing.

The consensus lately on the board has been... people who have not used most of the above surgeons would not let them touch them and wouldn't consider Atl Med Ctr...  People that have used them claim they are happy, BUT, I wonder if they would have used a better surgeon and cleaner, more modern hospital if they had a wider range of choices.   Have you ever been to Atl Med Ctr just to look at the facilities???  Compare Atl Med Ctr to the top of the line hospitals in the area and it's like shopping at Dollar Tree compared to Phipps. Just not the same...

Having been through this surgery and meeting so many in support groups and meet n greets, etc. I have learned a lot of your health and success depends on the skill of the surgeon and the quality of the aftercare. 

If I were only given the above choices. I would just stay fat until another door opened and I could get something better.  

Out of all of those you listed Dr. Hobson and Burrows seem to stay under the radar more often. I never hear anything about Hixon...  Duncan and Maynard are a source of debate on the wls boards because some people question their reputation, aftercare, paperwork process,  and skills...  Some people swear by them, others wouldn't trust them to change a tire. Go figure???

You just have to do your own research and decide which one suits you.

Guess I'll **** off some folks with my honest opinion, but I don't care. I'm always sitting in the naughty corner anyway :-)

Best Wishes.
LaShelle

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Neb
on 5/26/10 11:11 pm
I actually don't have medicaid - we have , usually, very GOOD insurance through my husbands company!  Literally, for the birth of my first baby 3 years ago, we paid out of pocket - 100. 00.  That's it!  And my second baby, just 5 months ago - 250.00 OOP and those were JUST the deductibles!  So usually, it's GREAT.  I've never had a problem with it.  They did say I had the option of going out of town to Tennessee somewhere - can't remember where - but I don't even know the doctor choices for there...

I know of several people that have had the surgery from the same insurance and they've all done great, seemed fine, etc...  I do have concerns that I want the best doing mine and the best facilities...

Most Active